• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Importing from minidisc (1 Viewer)

kimandsue

Can anyone help? I have a Sony minidisc MZ-NZ10 I have recorded some birdsongs but I am unable to import it into my PC. The minidisc links to the PC via a USB connection. There was a program called Sonicstage which came with the minidisc but I cannot seem to import music which I have not exported via the program it has a check out and check in type setting. Anyone able to help? Many thanks

kimandsue said:
Can anyone help? I have a Sony minidisc MZ-NZ10 I have recorded some birdsongs but I am unable to import it into my PC. The minidisc links to the PC via a USB connection. There was a program called Sonicstage which came with the minidisc but I cannot seem to import music which I have not exported via the program it has a check out and check in type setting. Anyone able to help? Many thanks

Hi Welcome to Birdforum.

I have the same MD and I take a lead with two male 1/8"" ( 3.5mm) jack sockets and connect one end to the "headphone out" on the MD and the other end to the "mic in" on the computer. I then use Audio Lab to record a wav. of the MD playback.

With your model I don't think you can use the USB option for downloading. The newer MD's do but only on certain record modes ( I think ? ! ).

Hope this helps,

Linz

Yeah, I have a similar MD player (Sony MZ-N505). The Sony software that comes with the player is very reluctant to import sound files created on MDs on third-party recorders (like my dad's Sony MDS-JE510). I figure, why not get a special device off eBay that uses special DataMDs? DataMDs can hold up to 140MB, and Sony's new HiMD devices can let you store up to 1 Gigabyte of data on one disc. Of course, you can't put a HiMD disc into a standard MD device, but you can use standard MDs in the HiMD device.

Go to Sony.com to find out more.

Unfortunately like the others say Sonicstage is frustrating like that. You will need recording software, I use Wave Lab to import the files as WAV. files, then you can convert them and alter to whatever you wish.

Hi,

You may wish to look at this super little site dedicated to MiniDisc recording

http://www.naturesongs.com/Sounds.html

I have found SonicStaeg a pain in the posterior so changed to using Audio Lab like Linz which is acracking bit of software (there aer plenty of freeware packages available too)

Thank you so much!

Man thanks for your help guys. I have a MZ-RH910 Hi-MD and I was having the worst time with SonicStage. My horoscope said that my troubles would have a totally obvious solution today, and usually I don't pay much attention to the blurb next to the daily crossword (and soduku) but it really happened today. My record label/promotions company put on a house party/show for April Fool's, and my friends band totally rocked and my recording of the show is great quality. I was really REALLY bummed out when SonicStage wouldn't import the file, giving me an error saying it could not read the disc. Your suggestion with just recording a .wav on my computer while playing the track saved my day. I was searching online for hours for a technique to go around SonicStage yesterday, and after looking for 5 minutes today and finding this forum, my whole issue is resolved. Again I can't thank this forum enough. Rock on!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back