• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big SLCs (1 Viewer)

eetundra

I have pretty much decided on the 7x42 SLC for myriad reasons, just edging out the Ultravid.

A quick question before I call in the order. How are either the 7x50 or 8x50 for birding? I use now a 2+ kilo military 7x50 Porro.

Hi eetundra,

Have you received your SLC 7x42? What is your opinion about why this one is better than Leica or Zeiss 7x42? I have tried many of these high-end binoculars and the Swarovski SLC:s are my favorites. They are quite heavy but feels best in my hands. I have considered to get the SLC 8x50 but think this one may be too heavy, so the 7x42 is more attractive.

Regards, Patric

Swedpat said:
... What is your opinion about why this one is better than Leica or Zeiss 7x42? I have tried many of these high-end binoculars and the Swarovski SLC:s are my favorites. They are quite heavy but feels best in my hands. I have considered to get the SLC 8x50 but think this one may be too heavy, so the 7x42 is more attractive.

I'm also interested in this comparison. For some reason, the 7x42 SLC is 3 oz. heavier than my favorite 10x42 SLC. Curious.

Ed

Ed,

I think the extra weight comes from the longer focal length eyepieces on the 7x42 SLC. They make it 17mm longer than the 10x42 SLC, all at the eyepiece end.

Henry

henry link said:
Ed,

I think the extra weight comes from the longer focal length eyepieces on the 7x42 SLC. They make it 17mm longer than the 10x42 SLC, all at the eyepiece end.

Henry

Yup, my little Swaro book indicates that the 7x42 is 17mm longer. Another mystery solved, Henry. :t:

The width and height of the 7x and 10x are also identical. So, if they each have the same objective, back of the envelope algebra suggests that the focal length of the objective = 396.6mm. For the 10x, the focal length of the eyepiece =39.66mm, and for the 7x = 39.66+17 = 56.66mm.

How fun. :brains:

Ed
PS. Do these numbers seem reasonable to you?

Last edited:
eetundra said:
I have pretty much decided on the 7x42 SLC for myriad reasons, just edging out the Ultravid.

A quick question before I call in the order. How are either the 7x50 or 8x50 for birding? I use now a 2+ kilo military 7x50 Porro.

eetundra,

Sorry to go off on a tangent in the last post. Actually, 7x50 binoculars are not often used for birding, more often for boating applications. A pupil diameter of 6 with a 7x42 is quite generous for low illumination viewing. In daylight the eye's pupil diameter is around 2mm and expands to 4-5mm or so as darkness sets in.

ED

elkcub said:
Yup, my little Swaro book indicates that the 7x42 is 17mm longer. Another mystery solved, Henry. :t:

The width and height of the 7x and 10x are also identical. So, if they each have the same objective, back of the envelope algegra suggests that the focal length of the objective = 396.6mm. For the 10x, the focal length of the eyepiece =39.66mm, and for the 7x = 39.66+17 = 56.66mm.

How fun. :brains:

Ed
PS. Do these numbers seem reasonable to you?

As you probably already suspect, those numbers are much too large. The objective is probably around f/4, so it would have about a 168mm focal length (probably actually closer to 160mm). The eyepiece focal lengths would be about 16.8mm for the 10X, 24mm for the 7x. I would guess that the 17mm difference in length would come from a combination of the field lens of the 7x eyepiece needing to be placed about 7mm farther behind the focal plane of the objective and an extra 10mm in the length of the eyepiece itself, mostly from wider spaces between the elements and perhaps thicker elements.

Last edited:
henry link said:
As you probably already suspect, those numbers are much too large. The objective is probably around f/4, so it would have about a 168mm focal length (probably actually closer to 160mm). The eyepiece focal lengths would be about 16.8mm for the 10X, 24mm for the 7x. I would guess that the 17mm difference in length would come from a combination of the field lens of the 7x eyepiece needing to be placed about 7mm farther behind the focal plane of the objective and an extra 10mm in the length of the eyepiece itself, mostly from wider spaces between the elements and perhaps thicker elements.

Henry,

Yes, using my metric ruler I had come to serious doubts. Thanks for the clarification. I see what you meant by the extra length being dedicated to the 7x eyepiece.

Ed

I have the 10x50 SLC. Yes, it's heavy but it is also extremely good. Several of my birdwatching friends, who have the 10x42 SLC, have commented on how much better the view in the bigger brother is.

TTT said:
I have the 10x50 SLC. Yes, it's heavy but it is also extremely good. Several of my birdwatching friends, who have the 10x42 SLC, have commented on how much better the view in the bigger brother is.

Is this during the day?

Clear skies, Alan

TTT,

What is your opinion about the eye-relief of the SLC 10x50? The stated 17mm COULD be somewhat too short for eyeglass wearers. Do you wear or have tried it with glasses/sunglasses?

Patric

I have a 10x50 SLC. The view is one of or the best of any 10x that i have. It's the size and weight that keep it from being used very often. The eye relief is not long enough for my eyeglasses, but i use them without glasses anyway.

Luca,

Thanks for your answer. When it comes to 10x50:s you have usually to choose between great eye relief and quite narrow AFOV and quite short ER and wide angle. Pentax 10x50 DCF SP is an example of a 10x50 which has very long eye relief (22mm) but the AFOV is only 50 deg. One "exception from the rule" is the discontinued Minolta Activa 10x50 WP FP which provide 65 deg with a stated 18mm eye relief, according to my experience adequate for eyeglasses.

Patric

AlanFrench said:
Is this during the day?

Clear skies, Alan

I think it's the whole package that makes the view of the 10x50 SLC so much better than the 10x42. It has sligthly wider FOV, is slightly brighter (and equally sharp), has much better eye relief and is much better regarding flaring/backlight.

Patric, I don't wear eyeglasses, so I don't know.

Arek and the Polish binoculars guys who sometimes visit cloudynights reckon the 10x50 SLC is right up there with the Fujinon 10x50,thats VERY high praise indeed.I would be interested in the 10x50SLC for Astronomy.
The 10x50 SLC has a very generous 17mm of eye relief.
Steve.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back