• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swift box (1 Viewer)

da2m

yesterday i put up my first and homemade swiftbox. i really enjoy watching these summer visitors and would love them to choose my house to nest in. for further info on anything to do with swifts please visit www.concernforswifts.co.uk.
many thanks for bish for introducing this website to me. good one bish.

I'm glad the www.concernforswifts.com site inspired you to put up a box, It was just by chance that I found the it on the links page of www.southendrspb.co.uk

I have had Swifts nest at my house for many years, They used to nest at the back of the house in a hole in the soffit but as the Starlings enlarged it they stopped

Last year they chose to nest in the front were a section of soffit fell down,
the starlings had already used this site before the Swifts arrived

Yesterday I replaced the rear soffit & have put three 65mm x 35mm slots in it as suggested on the site to encourage them back, I look foward to there arrival & sounds, One of my favorites

Regards Bish. :t:

hey bish
i also want house martins to nest but i really dont want to buy a pre-made nest(not being tight(yeah right))any suggestion?

Swift Box

Shouldn't hold your breath!! We have had a swift nesting box under the eaves of our house for about 10 years. My husband made it from a diagram on an RSPB leaflet - and they have studiously ignored it year after year! They nest in a row of houses on the other side of the main road but have never even investigated this desirable residence. And we would love to have them! They are my absolute favourite 'common' bird.

Maybe it's not facing the right way or something.

Sandra :h?:

Sandra (Taylor) said:
Shouldn't hold your breath!! We have had a swift nesting box under the eaves of our house for about 10 years. My husband made it from a diagram on an RSPB leaflet - and they have studiously ignored it year after year! They nest in a row of houses on the other side of the main road but have never even investigated this desirable residence. And we would love to have them! They are my absolute favourite 'common' bird.

Have to say that i've had no luck with swift using the box i put on the house, seem to prefer next door. Lucky here that most years have about 20 pairs nesting in the street , cracking watching them zipping about the place

It sounds like there are plenty of available nest sites in your locations already

I think they prefer existing sites & come back year after to the same ones

As for House Martins I really don't know what to suggest?

Sounds like a subject for a new thread

Sandra (Taylor) said:

i seem to remember reading somewhere, can't remember where, that playing a recording of swift calls near your nest box may help in encouraging them to settle

Bish said:
It sounds like there are plenty of available nest sites in your locations already

I think they prefer existing sites & come back year after to the same ones

As for House Martins I really don't know what to suggest?

Sounds like a subject for a new thread

One house up the street usually gets 3 pairs, lucky buggers. Since the time ive' been living here 6 years the numbers have definetly declined, when i first got here i counted 35 pairs breeding

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back