• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

full of life (1 Viewer)

seb_seb

The sky was packed with house martins and swifts, "pritting" and screaming. I counted 15 house martins and 25 swifts, and that was with the sun in my eyes.
After the party moved on, a single stunning male bullfinch arrived at the table. He was joined by his partner and a delightful little coal tit.
Suddenly everything was quiet. I soon realised two sparrowhawks were circling, playing and chasing each other. They were making some weird cat "mew" noises. I think it was courtship (do they nest around now?)

Anybody having similar experience, especially with the lovely hirundines and swifts?

o:)

The Swifts are back in force, my favorite sound in summer is the scream of the swifts as the screech over head chasing insects, its not summer till they are back.

seb.
yes the sparrowhawks should have or be well into nest preperations by now. nice display you saw. bert.

Lots of swifts in Somerset too. I love to hear them screaming too. They were particularly low today. I managed to get a shot (photo!).

Attachments

• swift.jpg
    swift.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 180
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back