• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC vs. EL Optics - Are They The Same? (1 Viewer)

Marley

Hello all,

I currently own 8.5 x 42 ELs and 10x42 SLCs and I really like both. I was just wondering if the SLC glass is the same as that used in the EL models, as the EL line was introduced after the SLC line.

I know that the two lines don't exactly overlap (ex: 8x32 EL vs. 8x30 SLC), but if the glass is the same, could someone save some money and buy the SLC (ergonomics and some extra weight aside)?

Thanks to all,

Rgds,

Marley

Last edited:
Marley said:
Hello all,

I currently own 8.5 x 42 ELs and 10x42 SLCs and I really like both. I was just wondering if the SLC glass is the same as that used in the EL models, as the EL line was introduced after the SLC line.

I know that the two lines don't exactly overlap (ex: 8x32 EL vs. 8x30 SLC), but if the glass is the same, could someone save some money and buy the SLC (ergonomics and some extra weight aside)?

Thanks to all,

Rgds,

Marley
I don't think that ELs are optically identical to their SLCnew counterparts. I spent a good while comparing 10x42 ELs and 10x42 SLCnews, and the views were not the same. The ELs were slightly contrastier, for one.

Last edited:
Marley said:
could someone save some money and buy the SLC (ergonomics and some extra weight aside)?

Marley

The SLC are superb binoculars. If i had to choose, and would probably get a SLC and spend the $500 for a great birding trip.

Marley said:
Hello all,

Thanks to all,

Rgds,

Marley

I thought when I bought my 10x42 SLC two years ago, and still think now, that the SLC line has comparable optical quality at considerably lower cost (about 30%). If one is willing to pay $500 more for 4 ft. closer focus, and 3 oz. less weight, go for the EL. The ergonomics of either product is superb.

Ed

Last edited:
The ELs are brighter with better contrast; this difference is obvious to my eyes even on a sunny day. I did the comparison at a local bird fair in February. A small but obvious difference.
Likewise the Leica Trinovids compared to the Ultravids.... whether a birder decides the difference is worth paying a fair bit more for is a personal decision. If you want the best, you will. The Nikon HGL range may be a way of having the best rather more cheaply though....

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back