• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st Great Tit Egg? (1 Viewer)

Hi Brett. Certainly looks like one doesn't it? My fingers are crossed for you! I'm a regular on your site, I love watching the BTs and GTs. Where I live they haven't even started nesting yet!!

nobby said:
I have checked my nest box cams this morning and I think I can see a single egg in the Great Tit box. You can check for yourself live here http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/nest_box.htm .
I am hoping the female will uncover it a bit more later today.

Brett

'My' Great Tit (here in Aldershot) started nestbuilding last Monday, and tonight she has decided to stay in the box for the first time. I'm wondering if she could be preparing to lay her first egg tomorrow.

DavidJJones said:
'My' Great Tit (here in Aldershot) started nestbuilding last Monday, and tonight she has decided to stay in the box for the first time. I'm wondering if she could be preparing to lay her first egg tomorrow.
David missed your post. Did your Gt Tit lay an egg this morning?
Brett

nobby said:
David missed your post. Did your Gt Tit lay an egg this morning?
Brett

No, it was a false alarm. She took a long time to get settled, stayed in the box overnight, and left at 5.44am (probably had enough of the Blackbird which was singing his heart out in the conifers just behind the box!).

Anyway, she brought in more bedding at 6.36am, twice more by just after 8am, and since then there have been just two visits all day. She is obviously not in a hurry to get started.

I set the video to start recording at 5am each day now, so you can guess what I will be watching for before breakfast every morning for the next eight or so days.

DavidJJones said:
No, it was a false alarm. She took a long time to get settled, stayed in the box overnight, and left at 5.44am (probably had enough of the Blackbird which was singing his heart out in the conifers just behind the box!).

I set the video to start recording at 5am each day now, so you can guess what I will be watching for before breakfast every morning for the next eight or so days.

A follow-up to that -
Tonight she is back in the box, settling down straight away while her partner created a hell of a racket outside.

My fingers are crossed for the morning.

DavidJJones said:
A follow-up to that -

My fingers are crossed for the morning.

I just thought I'd add an update to say that since then she has laid seven eggs, with this morning's addition produced at around 3.42am!

My website contains a detailed diary of her progress so far

My Great Tits are probably laying their eggs now I havn't seen them in a few days so it's possible they ae laying their eggs now. Would love to set a camera on my nestbox. But wouldn't know how to

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back