• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

blakeney point (1 Viewer)

eagle33

Craig Shaw
hi all, im off to norfolk in mid may and am looking to walk to blakeney point from cley. is there any special areas to scan or is everywhere good. any tips would be greatly recieved .
thanks

craig

top tip

if the weather's no good, don't bother!

all you'll get is exercise

if it is good, the more sheltered parts like Yankee Ridge are excellent - Four Wrynecks in a very small area of bushes last september for instance

check the sueda anywhere, the plantation, the bushes around the cafe, the hood etc

if the weather is right, you can get a decent bird just about anywhere...

Tim Allwood said:
if the weather's no good, don't bother!

all you'll get is exercise

if it is good....
Possibly worth expanding on this slightly (apologies if this is obvious to you already, craig!)

By "good" weather, we're talking about "good" as in lots of grounded migrants - typically very different from "good" as in nice to be out!

excellent many thanks
Do you no where i can get a detailed map with these ridges marked on by any chance.
or is that wishfull thinking
craig

there is a cafe in cley village which used to have information about birds in the area at any given time - can't remember the name but someone will.

also might be an idea to get a boat to the point and walk back - slightly easier on the legs.

Nancy's caffe in the village closed in the late 80s

there's a cafe in the beach car park though before you start the walk out to the point

you can get tea, cake and beans on toast etc

very nice too

it has a logbook but it's not the best source of info but great to read

The area was almost devoid of people this morning

and birds for that matter...

Hi Craig,

I do not believe it is possible for a human to walk from Cley to Blakeney Point.My brother (a keen walker) and I tried to last year and because you have to walk on shingle I lasted 200 metres and he gave up after not much further.

To do it you will need a full support team.Good luck though.

Max.

You can't call yourself a birdwatcher till you've done, Cley/Blakeney Point/Cley, on foot. With a decent pair of walking boots and some food and drink you should be OK, although leaving the scope and tripod behind is very tempting!

John.

i work on the fells off cumbria 5 days a week, so hopefully this has given me some training for the walk to blakeney. :t: :cool:
Ill try anyway.
craig

Tim Allwood said:
...if the weather's no good, don't bother!...
Done it a few times over the years and never really coincided a visit with really good migrant weather. That said, still managed to find my own Wryneck one hot August day at 'Halfway House'. Mid-may should provide something to see.....

It IS a slog though. Once made it far worse than it need be by trudging out there to show my wife the Lesser Crested Tern I'd twitched there a day or two earlier, with umpteen pounds of 8 month old son in one of those baby rucksack things (and very primitive they were too in 1983) - AWFUL!! No tern, imminent return journey.........misery.

My favourite memory of the Blakeney trudge is a freezing January day, howling, biting NE blowing the occasioanal blizzard accross the landscape, interspersed with sunshine and blue sky. Wind, spray, Little Gulls, Merlin and Snow Buntings and not another soul.......exhilerating!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back