• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mosquito proofed clothing (1 Viewer)

ruchai

We have lots of mosquitoes in the rainy season. Army camo are too hot for the steaming weather. I finally asked a local farmer for advise. She told me to go to the shop in the local market. I came back with a mosquito protection cap, two extra light weight shirts, two extra light weight trousers, a pair of light weight boot made of mosquito net. All for an equivalent of US$10. I can now sitting in the tropical rain forest for hours without a bite from mosquito. Birds coming closer to me than they used to. May be birds consider farmers are more friendly than photographers from the city!

ruchai said:
We have lots of mosquitoes in the rainy season. Army camo are too hot for the steaming weather. I finally asked a local farmer for advise. She told me to go to the shop in the local market. I came back with a mosquito protection cap, two extra light weight shirts, two extra light weight trousers, a pair of light weight boot made of mosquito net. All for an equivalent of US$10. I can now sitting in the tropical rain forest for hours without a bite from mosquito. Birds coming closer to me than they used to. May be birds consider farmers are more friendly than photographers from the city!

There is a product here in the US called "Buzz-Off" material that is incorporated in shirts, hats, socks and trousers by companies that make fishing clothing. This material repels mosquitos and other bugs and works very well. The only problem is that it is expensive, and requires special wash procedures (not too onerous). It is also lightweight, and made of cool cotton. It's a lot better than netting, but much more expensive than the solution you posit. The mosquitos here can bite through clothing, even heavy cloth. :'D

I've always wondered if it is healthy to wear this "Buzz-Off" material next to one's skin.

I remember a little terrier I had years ago. when he wore a flea collar he became very lethargic. When we took it off him he regained his terrier like energy.

Bob

ceasar said:
I've always wondered if it is healthy to wear this "Buzz-Off" material next to one's skin.

I remember a little terrier I had years ago. when he wore a flea collar he became very lethargic. When we took it off him he regained his terrier like energy.

Bob

I only wear it when camping. So far no extraordinary lethargy. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back