• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto tripod+head for long lens: hard choice? (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
OK, here I am again ...
after having tested how many more keepers I got by using a tripod, I soon realized that my old tripod is not up to the task (too fragile/light, wing nut leg locks, no quick release plate, no different head compatibility, shining silver ... just to name a few "dislikes"), now I'm diving into this unknown ocean ....
I know that similar questions have been put forward many times, but ... my unexperience turned a good answer into a chaotic series of models and numbers ...
Therefore, I'd like to receive your helpful tips and advice regarding my choice of a tripod + head, keeping in mind a couple of "details" :cool: :

• the kit must not be exaggerating expensive
  • the kit must not be exaggerating heavy (I like going walking around ...)
  • it should allow panning and tilting (three-way head is a must?)
  • it should be fitted with a quick-release plate (possibly compatible with my Manfrotto 200PL)

Anything else? Mmmh .. oh yes! It must be cheap, light, beautiful, sturdy, everlasting,easy-handling etc etc. ... |:d| (gifts are welcome)

Thank you very much in advance for your advice,
Max

As weight is of an issue I'd recommend going for 190 legs (they are shorter than the 055 legs, but are also significantly lighter). As for heads... a lot of birders use video heads rather than three way heads as they tend to be easier to move quickly. Personally I'd recommend the classic 128RC2 head, it will take the 200PL QR plate and is very simple and nice to use. It has a very smooth action and will hold your lens without any problems. The newer video heads (700 & 701) are fine, but I don't find them as smooth as the 128 (but I am a big fan of the 128 head and currently have 4 of them!)

If you want to pop over to Norfolk and collect one I'd be happy to lend you a tripod ;)

Last edited:
When it comes to tripods there are three factors everybody wants - Good, Light and Cheap. Unfortunately it's only possible to get two out of the three.

I spent quite some time trying cheap, light, horrible tripods. Then cheap, good, heavy tripods. Finally I decided that I really needed something that was good and light and that I'd have to sacrifice cheap.

I went for the Velbon CF630 Pro - because Warehouse Express had it half price (£139). For slightly less money (£125) you can get the, slightly lighter (1.4 vs 1.7kg) CF530 Pro.

hollis_f said:
When it comes to tripods there are three factors everybody wants - Good, Light and Cheap. Unfortunately it's only possible to get two out of the three.

I spent quite some time trying cheap, light, horrible tripods. Then cheap, good, heavy tripods. Finally I decided that I really needed something that was good and light and that I'd have to sacrifice cheap.

I went for the Velbon CF630 Pro - because Warehouse Express had it half price (£139). For slightly less money (£125) you can get the, slightly lighter (1.4 vs 1.7kg) CF530 Pro.

I also bought this carbon fibre Velbon tripod and coupled it with a Manfrotto 701RC2 head and I have been most happy with this combination. (I compared the Velbon with the Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod and preferred the Velbon). There is a slightly more expensive Velbon, the 631 which has clip leg fastener as opposed to rotating.

gmax said:
OK, here I am again ...
after having tested how many more keepers I got by using a tripod, I soon realized that my old tripod is not up to the task (too fragile/light, wing nut leg locks, no quick release plate, no different head compatibility, shining silver ... just to name a few "dislikes"), now I'm diving into this unknown ocean ....
I know that similar questions have been put forward many times, but ... my unexperience turned a good answer into a chaotic series of models and numbers ...
Therefore, I'd like to receive your helpful tips and advice regarding my choice of a tripod + head, keeping in mind a couple of "details" :cool: :

• the kit must not be exaggerating expensive
  • the kit must not be exaggerating heavy (I like going walking around ...)
  • it should allow panning and tilting (three-way head is a must?)
  • it should be fitted with a quick-release plate (possibly compatible with my Manfrotto 200PL)

Anything else? Mmmh .. oh yes! It must be cheap, light, beautiful, sturdy, everlasting,easy-handling etc etc. ... |:d| (gifts are welcome)

Thank you very much in advance for your advice,
Max
Hi Max,
Although i agree with Postie as regards the 128RC head, I am not too sure about the 190 legs. I think they are fine for use with a scope or medium or small lens, but i personally would go for a bit more stability when using the big Tamron. I used to own this lens & found it perfect on my 055 legs. I now own a much heavier Sigma 500mm prime & D2x & the 055/128RC combo is creaking a bit! I am now considering buying a Gitzo 1325 or 1548 to cope & provide a rock solid platform. My advice to you is always go for maximum stability, it will pay dividends in the long run & you wont regret it (even if your bank account & back does!!!)
Regards Rob.

http://www.photoportfolios.net/portfolio/pf.cgi?a=up&pi=ROBCHACE&u=2216

postcardcv said:
If you want to pop over to Norfolk and collect one I'd be happy to lend you a tripod ;)

Thank you all,
I'm just browsing the net for a good kit (Manfrotto head + perhaps Velbon legs).. I'll let you know ... :cool:

PS Steve: I'll be in London in the early days of June ... fear my visit! Norfolk is not so far away, eh eh eh |})|

gmax said:
Thank you all,
I'm just browsing the net for a good kit (Manfrotto head + perhaps Velbon legs).. I'll let you know ... :cool:

PS Steve: I'll be in London in the early days of June ... fear my visit! Norfolk is not so far away, eh eh eh |})|

While you can mount a Manfrotto head on a Velbon tripod personally I wouldn't recommend it. The Manfrotto and Velbon legs have a main screw to attach the head with, however the Manfrotto legs also have three 'grub screws' which stop the head from rotating and coming off. If you are going for carbon fibre legs than the Velbons are the lightest of the bunch and are excellent, however if you're going for metal legs than the Manfrottos are far better.

If you find yourself this way in June get in touch, I'd be happy to show you some Norfolk biridng spots - though my wife is expecting our second child on the 9th so it might be a busy month...

PS... my name's Peter ;)

postcardcv said:
If you find yourself this way in June get in touch, I'd be happy to show you some Norfolk biridng spots - though my wife is expecting our second child on the 9th so it might be a busy month...

PS... my name's Peter ;)

Thanks Steve ... oops Peter ( |:$| ),
each time you answer my newbie's questions, it seems you are spreading good news ... and this time they're excellent indeed! Congratulations in advance ... hope it brings good ...
We'll be staying just a few days in London (my girlfriend's first time), but I think we'll be quite busy ... I'm not going to incur in her rage if I try this time to drag her as usual in a bog/swamp/riverside/mosquito-cradle etc etc all day long ... Anyway, who knows? Your proposal is really welcome ... I'd really like to see new spots in a different environment ... if you wish, the same applies to you next summer, when your family will be more autonomous (they can stay at our sunny, sandy seaside ... and I can show you our fair share of mosquitos .... :'D )
Regards,
Max

Hi Max

Would agree with Pete.........I'm currently using 190 legs with a 128RC head for my scope and Tamron and it seems perfectly fine so far.

Choices,choices.

Mark

Mark43 said:
Hi Max

Would agree with Pete.........I'm currently using 190 legs with a 128RC head for my scope and Tamron and it seems perfectly fine so far.

Choices,choices.

Mark

Hello everybody,
just an update: I couldn't wait for a good opportunity to come ... so I went straight down to my regular shop and ... Surprise! I was offered a good bargain for the new Manfrotto 055 legs ... V vs older NAT3! Excellent! The colour is not exactly the same (a darker petrol green), but when mounted with the 128RCNAT head are great ... a rock solid platform (when compared to my previous legs) with my kit, easy to fix silently at desired height and running soooo smoothly - when compared to my previous head.
No tilt action with this head, but I could manage to do it by rotating the camera itself just by releasing a bit the tripod ring (very easy and quick). Recommended!

Thank you all for your advice (opinion not shared by my back ...)
Max
PS one more thing: its retractable spiked feet are really great when you use this tripod outdoors

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back