• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GT webcam - the final week (1 Viewer)

DavidJJones

Garden Bird & Bug Watcher
The Great Tits in my garden have entered the last week of nesting, and the seven (out of eight eggs laid) chicks are due to fledge on or around the 19th/20th.

If you have time to visit, the webcam is on 24 hours a day. It's very active during the UK daytime, and it's not at all quiet at night either as mum finds it increasing difficult to get some rest without chicks popping up all round her (and producing the occasional night-time faecal sac)!

For ease of identification during daytime visits, the male adult only has a stumpy tail.

You must have a great food supply for these birds as they are coming and going at an alarming rate. They seem to be a pair of Great (pardon the pun) parents and the chicks look a good size.

It is a shame when they leave as you feel a part of you has gone with them, it would be lovely if they could come and stop for a few nights when they are passing.

A wonderful sight.

I am upset I have only discovered this today. :-C
What an amazing diary and photographs :t: :t: :t: . Fascinating and I will be checking in each day until they fledge. :flyaway:
You must be a very proud nestbox owner.

Marmot said:
You must have a great food supply for these birds as they are coming and going at an alarming rate. They seem to be a pair of Great (pardon the pun) parents and the chicks look a good size.

It is a shame when they leave as you feel a part of you has gone with them, it would be lovely if they could come and stop for a few nights when they are passing.

Hello Marmot,

You must have watched the webcam at one of their busy period. They seem to have these sessions and then long pauses. As for the food supply, I think it may be more quality (or rather, bulk) rather than quality - they seem to find some very large caterpillars.

When they leave it's always a case of withdrawal symptoms, although these will be eased when I head for Cornwall next week to gaze out to sea, and watch the Choughs down on the Lizard!

kas said:
I am upset I have only discovered this today. :-C
What an amazing diary and photographs :t: :t: :t: . Fascinating and I will be checking in each day until they fledge. :flyaway:
You must be a very proud nestbox owner.

Thanks Kas,

It's always a fascinating process, and makes for great daytime (and night-time towards the end) TV!

kas said:
You got some fantastic photos today.
I bet you are going to miss them when they fledge.

Thanks again Kas,

Today was not a good picture day, although that was down to me and not the GTs. They are still in the box tonight, but without mum for the first time (although last night she left during the night) Tomorrow is the twentieth day so I would expect at least some of them to fledge.

The weather forecast isn't good, so I will have my fingers well and truly crossed for them!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back