• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheaper alternatives to Photoshop? (1 Viewer)

Kevin

Registered User (not drugs)
Photoshop is beyond my pocket at the moment - can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative?

I have a programme called FastStone Image Viewer, which is a freeware programme you can download from www.download.com . You can do a surprising amount of editing, cropping resizing etc. with it, an excellent little programme!

Picasa 2 ,a freebie from Google.The only thing it cannot do it to make images darker if the contrast is too bright.But it does everything else,except re size,although you can re size,if you use the export prog,and then it will send them back to your main pictures.A very good prog.Simple to use.

There is also the Gimp which is free and does just about everything, if you can figure it out and my favourite which is Photofilter also a free download. Google will find them both for you if you want to try them.

Mick

As Micky mentions, Photofiltre is an extremely capable free application - found at www.photofiltre.com - I use it for much of my basic image fiddling. There's also a paid for version called Photofiltre Studio, with some extra functionality - most notably layers.

The Gimp is great too, as he says, but the interface is an acquired taste I've never really got my head round - and I'm about three years in with The Gimp.

A less well known but capable editor is Satori PhotoXL (http://www.satoripaint.com): it has a few unique features, and is cheap as chips at £6.95.

The nearest thing you'll find to Photoshop though, is Ability Photopaint.

It really is a Photoshop clone (they describe it as "a photo and image editor that will instantly feel familiar, both in its interface and functionality, to users of Adobe Photoshop"), and is an absolute steal at £20.

http://www.ability.com/sales/products/paint.php

As KC suggests, it's hard not to love Paint Shop Pro, and although it's more expensive than anything I've mentioned so far, it's still a bargain compared to Photoshop and is very good.

I've got PSP 9 and I can't fault it for power vs. usability - though in truth I rarely need it or Photopaint: I'm not a "power user" by the remotest stretch of the imagination, and as long as the basic picture I've taken is "thereabouts", Photofiltre has a lot to offer.

Don't forget about Photoshop Elements though - v4 is available for about £50.

Keep an eye out for free copies of earlier versions of Paint Shop Pro and the rest on CDs with computer magazines, and bear in mind that the latest Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop Elements won't run on Win 9x/ME.

Last edited:
I'm mainly using Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 for editing. Far easier to use than PS and seems to do everything I need except for noise reduction for which I use Picture Cooler, a freebie download. Apart from the editing side it can be used to organise your photos into albums such as one for each bird species.

I have Paint Shop Pro 7 as well which I used to use the most, but perhaps it's just that version thats dated now as I much prefer Elements.

Hi Kevin

I agree with smmyboy about Faststone. It does so much and is easy to use and there is also a free printable tutorial which has been invaluable for me being a bit of a techno dunce. It resizes pictures instantly and is so easy to upload pictures for e mailing or putting in BFs gallery. I tried picassa but for me it was not very user friendly. I know people like it but I couldn't get on with it. I would try several free ones if I were you before spending loads of money on one and see which you get on best with.

Now that I am becomming more into digital photography I still use faststone for basic stuff and storing images but I now am beginning to edit with photoshop.

Paint Shop Pro is an excellent application. There is very little that Photoshop can do which Paint Shop cannot, and it is a fraction of the price. I am told by people that have used both programmes that Paint Shop Pro is much more intuitive and easier to learn.

Corel offers a free 30 day trial of the full programme which can be downloaded from their web-site.

I'd also recommend Paint Shop Pro. The product that is most similar to it, pricewise, is Photoshop Elements. I have used both and much prefer PaintShop Pro. The latest version (10) is very stable. I did some very heavy editing on a large image recently. I worked for hours at a time, for several weeks. It had over 25 layers. PSP didn't crash even once, which is pretty impressive for any program.

Keith Reeder said:
Hi Marmot,

just for clarity, that's not Photoshop, it's Photoshop Elements.

Good price though...
Photoshop elements 4 was I believe £21.95 + postage on Ebay.

POP

There's a better than average chance that software on Ebay is pirated, though - I don't think I would buy software on Ebay myself.

Can't get any better than GIMP for the price (free):

http://www.gimp.org/

It even has a user manual now :)

There are many tips and technique articles available on the web and no doubt there are books you can buy/loan from a library, but i guess it's as with all software, it's what you get used to using.

Wow what a response!

There's me thinking (as a bit of a newby), that everyone was using Photoshop.

I have an old version of Photo Impact? Has anyone got experience of the latest version (11) ?

Something I have just thought of, what burner software have you got I ask because I have just fitted a new burner and the Nero 6 software that came with it has a neat little photo editing application included they call it Nero photo snap. Worth a look if you have Nero.

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back