• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

William Optics 8x42 APO (1 Viewer)

kmiernik

8x32, 8x40, 8.5x44
I'd like to get William Optics 8x42 APO - new version with phase coated prisms. I wonder if anyone has this model and could give me some more informations. I've already read very nice and detailed review by Leif but this one was on older version of those binoculars. Also as it was asked by manufacturer review there was no info on long-term usage (how it works in the field, how tough it is).

Currently I'm using Nikon Action EX 8x40 and I want improve optics quality and handiness. I wish I could compare WO 8x42 with my Nikon in some shop but I can only order this model via internet. I not going to buy it if improve is insignificant. Then I'll go for something like Docter B/GF 8x42 (but this one is priced in Poland three times higer than WO).

Other competitors for my money are Opticron Discoverer and Nikon Monarch 8x42. Are those better than WO and my Nikon EX?

I sent William Optics 2 e-mails asking them if their APO 8x42 is phase coated or not. They never bothered to reply. If they don't bother to reply to my inquiries, why should i want to know about their piece of junk made in China?

Last edited:
On their web page on the right side of 8x42 APO there is big red sign "NOW with PHASE COATING for increased sharpness!". Same info you can find in the specification tables. I think they ignored yours mails because it is so clearly written. Although you can still find in some shops version with silver mirrors. Those are usually priced 100$ less.

Most binoculars under 1000$ are in fact "piece of junk from China". I happy with that because there is chance of getting something with good quality for little money. It is not possible with incredible high european taxes and man power costs.

Those 8x42 APO binos are in fact made by Kunming United Optics. Their top astronomy models 7x50ED and 10x50ED are highly rated in every test and users review (optics quality comparable to made in Germany - Docter Nobilem). Those binoculars are sold not only under the name of William Optics but also Fujinon and Oberwerk.

I wouldn't underestimate binoculars only because they are made in China.

The folks who import such binoculars can decide how much binocular they want. If they select full sized prisms, full multi-coatings, exotic wide-field eyepieces, and so on they will be pretty nice - but they will also be more expensive. The bottom line is that you generally get what you pay for, and if they are inexpensive, there is a reason.

Clear skies, Alan

kmiernik said:
On their web page on the right side of 8x42 APO there is big red sign "NOW with PHASE COATING for increased sharpness!". Same info you can find in the specification tables. I think they ignored yours mails because it is so clearly written.

I wouldn't underestimate binoculars only because they are made in China.

At the time, six months ago, it was not so obvious. They should reply even if you ask them: "Do you sell telescopes?" Actually, they should reply even if you ask them "Do you sell carrot juice?" - there is a good joke about rabbit, pharmacy, and carrot juice.

So, i am politically biased about buying Chinese products. It is my right. I wonder if the workers in the factories producing those instruments have such a right, or any right at all.

By the way, i drive a car made in Poland. Would you prefer that i buy one made in China?

Last edited:
I'm sure that high educated technicans working at United Optics are delighted than you don't like their work only because they are Chinese. I'm sure they would be happy to plant rice and then you won't grumble about buying Chinese rice. Or maybe they would be even happier being unemployed? Situation in Chine have changed some years ago and they are closer and closer to free country. But it is their right to do it in evolutionary not revolutionary way.

I don't belive that people making such precise instruments as binoculars are some kind of slaves. It just can't be done in this way. Maybe you are taking about buying such simple goods as T-shirts, shoes and everything else what you can find in your supermarket. That could be done by forced labourers.

I'm a customer. I want to get good optics and pay as little as it is possible. So I've heard that WO is making good astronomical binoculars and I asked if their 8x42 binoculars have also good price to quality relation. I don't mind that they ordered those in China and I'm sure that people in China are happy selling their well done binoculars. I even admire China - this country not so long ago was technologically backwords in every field but not grows as a biggest advanced technology producer.

And by the way - did you checked in what country yours PC main board, monitor, RAM and CPU was made? Did you checked all yours clothing, shoes, toothbrushes and DVD players? I'm sure you'll find few "made in china" marks in your house.

What polish car do you have?

And my question is still open. Are those binoculars good or not?

kmiernik said:
I'd like to get William Optics 8x42 APO - new version with phase coated prisms. I wonder if anyone has this model and could give me some more informations. I've already read very nice and detailed review by Leif but this one was on older version of those binoculars. Also as it was asked by manufacturer review there was no info on long-term usage (how it works in the field, how tough it is).

Currently I'm using Nikon Action EX 8x40 and I want improve optics quality and handiness. I wish I could compare WO 8x42 with my Nikon in some shop but I can only order this model via internet. I not going to buy it if improve is insignificant. Then I'll go for something like Docter B/GF 8x42 (but this one is priced in Poland three times higer than WO).

Other competitors for my money are Opticron Discoverer and Nikon Monarch 8x42. Are those better than WO and my Nikon EX?
Hi there!
Up until a week ago I used the earlier non phase coated version and in terms of handling was very pleased with them. The construction is not the best, with a fair bit of plastic inside, and I personally wouldn't trust the waterproofing. Before I go any further I would just like to say that I'm very surprised to hear the stories of poor or no response to questions. I found them extremely helpful, polite and ready to oblige.
What I am using now is a pair of Eschenbach Farlux SPS 7X42 BG's which I recently bought on eBay. These are apparently made by Bushnell and are virtually identical (cosmetically at least) to their 8x42 Discoverer. I have to say I am extremely impressed with them. The only poor point is that they have pull up eye shades, and being a wearer of glasses I use them in the down position where unfortunately they are quite loose. I have solved this problem, but it shouldn't be there in the first place. This system is different in the Discoverers I believe. Apart from that these are very well made bins that certainly give me the confidence to use in the pouring rain (which I have done.) Optically I'm more than impressed, the definition is certainly better than my friends 10x42 Trinovids and for a glasses wearer there is more than enough eye relief to get full field of view. The clarity is certainly better than the William Optics and I like the dioptre adjustment at the rear of the focussing wheel. I previously, for no reason whatsoever was a bit biased against Bushnell, but now I have completely changed my mind. I sugget if you get the chance you look at the Bushnell Discoverer, and if you do I'd be interested to know what you think.
Timedrifter

That's the anwser I'm waiting for! I've already sent email to Polish Bushnell dealer with question about new Bushnell Discoverer 8x42 availability and their price. US price 350-400$ looks nice but I'm quite sure they will be priced twice that much in Poland.

I've always found Bushnell as supermarket cheap binos and never though of buying them. But now I read that now their top model - previously sold under the name of Baush&Lomb - are now Bushnell Discoverer series.

By the way: I have very nice old Eschenbach roof binos Arena 8x32Ww. Those are from the 80's and are made in Japan not in China as Eschenbach does nowadays. I've sent mail to Eschenbach asking some simple information on my binoculars as there was almost nothing in manual (e.g very few info on coating). I've even sent them my binoculars serial number but I've never got any response.

kmiernik said:

Kmiernik,

The Nikon Action EX are well reknowned to be high quality binoculars for a quite low cost. I have not compared them side by side to the Monarch 8x42, but to the Sporter, and they were significantly sharper than the Sporter.
I could not notice that difference when I once compared the Monarch to the Sporter. I think that the difference is bigger between Action EX and Monarch than between Sporter and Monarch.

Therefore I am sure that the Action EX are better than the Monarch when it comes to sharpness and I guess that they hold up well even to the WO APO 8x42, because this model are about the same price as the Monarch.

My conclusion is that I doubt that you will make a significant gain (if at all) by changing from the Action EX to the WO APO, when it comes to optical quality and sharpness. But you will likely do if you want better eye relief, and perhaps color correction.

If anyone else reading this and have made a careful comparison between these binocular I would like to hear your experience.

Regards, Patric

I really like my Nikon's sharpness and bright colors. I'm glasswearer but 17mm eye relief is enough to see hole field even while in glasses. What I'd like to improve is bigger usable field of view. In those 8x40 EX clear and best quality view is only in about 1/3 of field. Outer 2/3 is affected by chromatic abberation, 1/2 by distortion and at the 1/8 of radius darkening is really big.

All in all I can use something like 2/3 of field as chromatic abberation and distortion isn't that big there. It isn't that bad as FOV is 144/1000m so I end up with about 100/1000m usable.

My interest in buying something new started because I've recently noticed that even midpriced roofs (here big point for handiness) have phase coated prisms. I've been just wondrering if is it era of good cheap roofs yet or no. Phase coating is a must-have for roofs but it used to go with well priced models while simple silver mirrors being reserved for midprice.

For example some years ago fully multicoating was something reserved only for top binos but now almost every usable binoculars goes with that. And you can get for 150$ really amazing quality porro binoculars - like my Nikon EX.

Last edited:
kmiernik said:
I really like my Nikon's sharpness and bright colors. I'm glasswearer but 17mm eye relief is enough to see hole field even while in glasses. What I'd like to improve is bigger usable field of view. In those 8x40 EX clear and best quality view is only in about 1/3 of field. Outer 2/3 is affected by chromatic abberation, 1/2 by distortion and at the 1/8 of radius darkening is really big.

All in all I can use something like 2/3 of field as chromatic abberation and distortion isn't that big there. It isn't that bad as FOV is 144/1000m so I end up with about 100/1000m usable.
Yes, I know that the Action EX is very sharp on-axis but soft-out to the edges. I am glad you experience them to have adequate eye-relief for eyeglasses, this isn't something I can agree with. It,s a matter of facial shape and eye-glass lens design, however. Different persons have different demands. If I had considered the Action EX to have adequate eye-relief I had had a pair in my own.

My interest in buying something new started because I've recently noticed that even midpriced roofs (here big point for handiness) have phase coated prisms. I've been just wondrering if is it era of good cheap roofs yet or no. Phase coating is a must-have for roofs but it used to go with well priced models while simple silver mirrors being reserved for midprice.
I agree with you about the handiness. I have earlier thought that roof-prism models are too expensive for the optical quality, but have changed my mind a bit. Today I think it's worth the extra money.

For example some years ago fully multicoating was something reserved only for top binos but now almost every usable binoculars goes with that. And you can get for 150$ really amazing quality porro binoculars - like my Nikon EX.
Exactly. Compare the (on-axis) sharpness of your Action EX to the most expensive roof-models and you have to check carefully to see any difference. According to my experience.

Regards, Patric

To: Kmiernik & Otto McDiesel...Information

Kmiernik stated the Williams Optics 8x42 APO were made by Kunming United Optics...NO SO...they are really made by Xi'an Vision Opto-Electronics Co, Ltd
www.aoi.com.cn/english. Xi'an Vision is a division of Sicong Group
Go to their web site chose "New Products" and under that heading select Navigator...the Williams 8x42 also the Garrett Optics 8x42 (these are both exactally the same binoculars) will show up there...it also is shown in the www.Sicong.Com/english site.
Xi'an Vision Opto-Electronics Co, Ltd makes many different models of binoculars for Nikon, Bushnell (sorry Otto McDiesel there Chinese) Minolta, Vixen Olympus...check it out at their site under "OEM" then select binoculars...no they do not make all thier binoculars, but they do produce optics and binoculars to these companies specifications.
I agree you get what you pay for and no $200 pair of binoculars will compete with any of the higher $1,000 quailty manufactures...BUT I can afford that kind...so for me I'll have to be happy with the Williams 8x42 APS...there great for the price.

Last edited:
Xi'an Vision Opto-Electronics Co, Ltd makes many different models of binoculars for Nikon, Bushnell (sorry Otto McDiesel there Chinese) Minolta, Vixen Olympus...check it out at their site under "OEM" then select binoculars...no they do not make all thier binoculars, but they do produce optics and binoculars to these companies specifications.

Some Nikon and Bushnell models are made in China, but just for the record, the Bushnell Elite are made in Japan (as are the Bushnell Legend, Bushnell Discoverer, Nikon LXL, Nikon SE...).

--AP

AFAIK, the Garrett Apo roof is exactly the same as the WO Apo roof.

From a recent review I just wrote of both these
The Nikon AE 8X40 vs the Garrett Apo 8x42 roof

THE AE:
Has slightly better resolution, normal power, boosted and handheld
Has better low light limit transfer

Has much wider 8.1° fov vs the Garrett 6.7°
Has greater outer fov abberations
But has almost exactly equal usable field 4.9°

Has less internal reflections
Has less pincushion

Has much easier to use right diopter

Has faster focus in the range from 30m-100m
Has slower focus in the range from 3m-30m

Has far more adjustable twist out eye cups.

Weighs 7 oz, (200g.) more
is much less compact (The GO Apo is the smallest roof I've tested)

Has 4mm less eye relief.
BTW, the Nikon AE 8x40 has only 14mm usable er, the longest of all the AEs.

BUT, If you are an eyeglasses wearer, the Garrett has only 2mm of depth to the eye lens and eye glasses DO come in contact with the lens and the metal rim around the lens.

FWIW, I scored these roofs higher than the Garrett
Nikon Monarch ATB10x42 Roof
Celestron Regal 10x42 Roof
Celestron Regal 8x42 Roof
Bushnell Legend 8x42 Roof

FWIW2, I scored these pooros higher than the Garrett
Fujinon BFL 8x42
Pentax PCF WP II 8x40
Nikon Action Ex 8x40

AE has lower quality coatings (MgF prisms) BUT
Has has higher light transmission
The Garrett has more reflective coatings than any other (besides AE) binocular mentioned here.

FWIW3
the Nikon Action EX 8x40, Bushnell Legend 8x42 roof, Fujinon BFL 8x42 and the Celestron Regal roofs were the highest scorers in all these, substantially above the Garrett Apo 8x42 roof.

The Garrett Apo roof, unless you want smaller and lighter, is a step down from the Nikon AE 8x40.
Reviews are posted on Cloudy Nights Small Binocular reviews.

Kunming United Optics Corp also lists this model binocular under Hunting Birding Outdoor

edz

Last edited:
Both my Bushnell Legend 8x42 roof and my Bushnell Legend 10x50 porro are stamped made in China.

edz

:)

What about the W.O. 8x42 "semi-Apo" version (phase coated) vs the 8x42 APO (phase coated) ??

Are there any significance difference in terms of sharpness and brightness??

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back