• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! What Is It? (1 Viewer)

Hi, Postman! I see this is your first post, so a warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

Obviously a mushroom/fungus of some kind, which means you've got a very serious water problem under your floor. Sounds like the moisture barrier under your foundation has been breached.

Yes, you should be worried as this can lead to structural damage as well as potential health problems (mold).

Any chance of a larger photo? I can almost make out something like a cup fungus, presumably a Peziza species. P. cerea grows on mortar, and is listed as being commonly found in cellars. I have seen it growing between paving stones in a garden. Is it an indicaton of structural problems due to damp? To be honest I don't know, and it could be that the residual damp in a healthy cellar is enough to encourage this fungus.

The avice to fry the fungus in butter is dangerous: butter is high in cholesterol.

Leif

Leif said:
Any chance of a larger photo? I can almost make out something like a cup fungus, presumably a Peziza species. P. cerea grows on mortar, and is listed as being commonly found in cellars. I have seen it growing between paving stones in a garden. Is it an indicaton of structural problems due to damp? To be honest I don't know, and it could be that the residual damp in a healthy cellar is enough to encourage this fungus.

The avice to fry the fungus in butter is dangerous: butter is high in cholesterol.

Leif

Yes, indeed it is Peziza cerea as Leif suggests. It is not unusual in such situations and it is the fungus most commonly brought in for identification at work. I even based a short exam question around it this year.

Yes, it shows the plaster or mortar must be pretty damp and continuously so. Situations I have seen it include on a pile of damp builders' sand by a woodland path; on the brickwork under the derelict pier on Brighton sea-front, coming from the mortar low on an outside wall in the centre of Lerwick, Shetland, and on the plaster under a friend's bathroom sink in the aftermath of the time that workers renovating the roof of her block of flats removed the slating on a Friday, tacked down some thin polythene sheeting and then left for the weekend - a weekend when high winds and heavy rain were correctly forcast. (She had a fine growth of the small, orange cup-fungus, Pyronema domesticum, on the plaster too, though her appreciation of this was somewhat limited.)

btw, jokes aside, Peziza cerea is not considered edible.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back