• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Buzzard Behaviour (1 Viewer)

SimonG4ELI

United Kingdom
Common Buzzard Behaviour, Laax Switzerland

While photographing some swallows I saw two buzzards hunting together - well, more-or-less together.

Would it be safe to assume that these are the parents and that the eggs have now hatched?

I've not yet got a decent photograph - always been something else happening :-C !

Click here for same buzzard in my garden
---

Attachments

• Buzz001.JPG
    Buzz001.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 120
Simon HB9DRV said:
While photographing some swallows I saw two buzzards hunting together - well, more-or-less together.

I suspect that they are not hunting together, but displaying together. Our local buzzards often soar together over their woodland nesting site and the immediate area. They hunt over the fields. Sometimes the soaring display is followed by a switchback display (100 metre long shallow glide with wings folded right back and then the bird flares out its wings and goes up steeply for about 10 metres- repeated five/six times).

The posture of the birds in your photos (wings and tail highly extended, allowing them to soar very slowly) suggests to me that they are displaying, not hunting.

But I could be wrong!

Pete

Thanks - they do this in the same area on a daily basis - now with luck I'll get 200m above the nest in 4 or 5 weeks time and get some good shots.

By 200m above I mean 200m up the side of the mountain, this should be far enough away I hope - any thoughts on this?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back