• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it a Dingy Skipper? (1 Viewer)

Richard

Can anyone help ID what I think is a Dingy Skipper please?

Found on Birdsfoot trefoil but I cannot find a picture of the underside of one to compare. The edges of the underwing look like the edges of the upperwing of a Grizzled Skipper.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• maybedskipper.jpg
    maybedskipper.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 275
Richard,

I'm no expert but could it be one of the skipper like moths (Mother Shipton perhaps). Did it have club shaped ends to the antennae?

Stephen.

Pretty confident it's not a dingy skipper which, according to my book has a rather uniform underside. It most resembles grizzled skipper but doesn't look quite right. The book says that 'certain day-flying moths look similar in flight'.

Hi Richard

I believe that you have a Laticed Heath (Moth). I am sorry but I do not have the scientific name to hand.

HTH
Tristan Reid

Thanks to all of you.

I only managed three hasty shots, the one above is the clearest. Stephen asked about club end to the antennae. I can just about make out the antennae ends in another, less clear photo and I think the answer is no, I suppose that rules out a Skipper.

Armed with the suggested names I have had look at various pictures of the different moths on the net and have come to the conclusion it is a Latticed Heath Moth.

Thanks again...

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back