• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what skipper? (1 Viewer)

another one

The meadows near our home are full of skippers and I'm strying to establish which are present. I think this is a male small skipper but would be grateful for confirmation.

Attachments

• skipper_a1.jpg
    skipper_a1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 223
The black 'sex brand' or 'scent gland' on the upper forewing does indeed denote a male Small Skipper whilst the lack of it shows the other shot to be a female Large Skipper.

In the shot below you can see the yellow/orange underside to the antenna of a Small Skipper which is the main differentiation from the Essex Skipper which has a black antennal underside. I'll try to get a shot of one of these when they emegre, locally, but I may not get the opportunity until after my holiday, perhaps in early August.

Adey

Attachments

• small-skipper-jul6--03.jpg
    small-skipper-jul6--03.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 195
Rescued an Essex skipper from a spiders web yesterday, must say first time I have noticed those black bits under the antennae, so a bit of a first for me.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back