• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brunton 8 x 32 Waterproof Wide-Angle (1 Viewer)

Nickolas said:
Hi all,

I just saw these Brunton 8 x 32 Waterproof Wide-Angle Binoculars - '05 Closeout Price: $139.93 at: http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...arent_category_rn=22000482&vcat=OUTLET_SEARCH am wondering if anyone knows anything about their quailty. 492 ft FOV, but only 11.4 ER. For the price I could forget my eyeglasses. I think it might be a good choice for kayaking, but I don't want to waste my money.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Odd, they are not visibly marked Brunton, some cheap rebadge from China probably. They may be good for the price, but it's hard to tell unless you try them.

Nickolas said:
Hi all,

I just saw these Brunton 8 x 32 Waterproof Wide-Angle Binoculars - '05 Closeout Price: $139.93 at: http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...arent_category_rn=22000482&vcat=OUTLET_SEARCH am wondering if anyone knows anything about their quailty. 492 ft FOV, but only 11.4 ER. For the price I could forget my eyeglasses. I think it might be a good choice for kayaking, but I don't want to waste my money.

Any thoughts? Thanks

It says these have Emerald Fire fully multi-coated optic whatever "emerald fire" is,you might be unimpressed by these binoculars.REI has 100 % satisfaction return policy,you would be just out shipping price.
Steve

Why take a chance? Canoeing? See if you can get the new Nikon Trailblazer 8 x 25 ATB.
They cost about $80.00 have FOV of 429' and ER of 10mm and are Waterproof. Check Eagle Optics for more details. They are basically a return of the popular 8 x 25 Sportstar I in a new cosmetic package. Very nice bin for the money!
Bob

mooreorless said:
It says these have Emerald Fire fully multi-coated optic whatever "emerald fire" is

emerald fire, HBX, C3, DFG, XTR, and all that junk are just sales pitches. I saw a $100 Brunton roof prism 10x42 with emeral fire about a year ago and it was, honestly, the worst binocular that i have ever looked through.

ceasar said:
Why take a chance? Canoeing? See if you can get the new Nikon Trailblazer 8 x 25 ATB.
They cost about $80.00 have FOV of 429' and ER of 10mm and are Waterproof. Check Eagle Optics for more details. They are basically a return of the popular 8 x 25 Sportstar I in a new cosmetic package. Very nice bin for the money!
Bob

I have the Sportstar 8x25's and, while I thought they were satisfactory at the $60 I paid for them, they just produce too "soft" an image. My 9x25 Travelite V's are superior - there's just that improvement in crispness and contrast.

Howard

They probably are real Bruntons, I have seen that brand at REI. I was not impressed by their 25mm models. But if water proof is all you need, there should be a few models, as mentioned. Most of these are OK at 8x but not at 10X.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back