• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Queensland: Cairns and Brisbane (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hi all,
I have read most of the info I can get about birds in Queensland, and still have a couple of additional questions.

The Cairns Crocodile farm now only have access for guided tours, and I have seen a couple of phone numbers for people arranging these. I assume that means that the tours are group things with visitors in tow like a duck with her ducklings. Is this correct, and is the crocodile farm still worth a visit for a birdwatcher?

There seems to be a number of boats that people have used for getting out to Michelmas Cay for seabirds. Which delivers the best birding experience?

Thirdly, for someone that will visit Cairns and the esplanade later in August, is there a reason to try to find time for looking at waders/shorebirds around Brisbane earlier in the month? Seems that Moreton Bay is a place where these birds would be seen, but would I see anything or anything seen better by including this in a trip?

thanks
Niels

Hi Niels

I've been to wader spots in Cairns and Moreton Bay and Cairns Esplanade is much easier to work in my opinion and it's one of the greatest birding sites I've ever visited (even if doesn't look promising at first). There are huge numbers of birds in Moreton Bay and I'm sure regular Brisbane birders on this site could point you to some good spots but it's more spread out than in Cairns. I found it so much easier in Cairns, as the tide pushes the birds right up to your feet and as it's impossible for people to get down onto the mud the birds are totally unafraid. I think the only wader I found in Brisbane that I didn't see in Cairns was Red-necked Avocet (but I did only spend a day near the coast). If I had spare time in Brisbane I'd rather concentrate on getting inland to the Brisbane State Forest Park, especially Maiala, although this has pretty much the same birds as Lamington (if you are heading there) minus the crowds. Or to the Samsonvale area just west of the city (you'll need a car though), which is one of the most bird rich areas I've ever been to. Don't forget to try the Centenary Lakes in Cairns at dawn for Black Bittern (and plenty of other birds). Enjoy your trip, I wish I was going again soon.

E

Hi Niels,

If I remember rightly, the boat most birders use for getting to Michelmas cay is the Seastar II. However, I booked a trip on her, and it was cancelled a couple of days before the event, so I had to rebook. I had the choice between a cheap trip to that area which didn't actually land on the cay, or a more luxurious and costly trip which did land. I took the cheap option (can't remember the name of the boat), and still saw most of the birds of the area, albeit not as well as if I had landed on the island. I guess my best advice would be to sort out your trip when you arrive in Cairns as the local agents will know the score and will have up to date information about which boats are operating in that area.

I didn't go to the crocodile farm, but I would agree with Edward's recomendations of the Esplanade and the centenary lakes area.

Cheers,

Stuart

Thank you for these replies! One additional reason I had in mind for the difference between the two shorebird places is the timing; hopefully a few migrants will start to show up by the end of the month in Cairns?

I had expected to go to the centennary lakes and the esplanade, but it is nice to have the recommendations to confirm that.

thanks
Niels

I can't comment on the presence or absence of waders at Cairns in August, as I was ther in November. However, it does strike me as a little early.

Stuart

Hi Niels

As Edward has indicated, the waders at Cairns are much more concentrated and easier to find than around Moreton bay.
If you DO want to go wadering in Bris then I'd suggest sites like the high tide roost on the southern mouth of the Brisbane River. The Port-of-Brisbane authority has a hide there over the high tide roost. You need to get a key from them to get into the hide but with a 'scope you can see just as well through the fence. The red-necked Avocets are sometimes here.
A bit further north, high tide at Deception Bay soemtimes has Broad-billed SP.
To the north of Brisbane, Bribie Island - Kakadu Beach and the southern Buckley's Waterhole and the adjacent beach are quite good. Opposite on the mainland, Toorbul is also good for waders.

Have a great time

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back