• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hungary (1 Viewer)

paul5000paul

Hi all,

I'm off to Hungary in early Aug. wondered if anyone had any up to date information about Sakers in the Hortobagy and White-backed Woodpeckers in the Bukk hills or elsewhere. Additionally, any good spots on the Hortobagy for other species, esp. Aquatic warbler etc. would be appreciated.
I have Gosney's book, this looks useful but is now several years old.
Ta.

Paul

Hi Paul
I visited Hungary several times, especially the Hortobagy. Sakers can be found anywhere, but the best places are in the north of the park. Take the road from Balmazujvaros (west of Debrecen) to Tiszacsege. A good place is around the Kishortobagyi csarda, a nice restaurant by the way. The csarda is at the bridge over the Hortobagy river. You have good chances for Saker (and Imperial Eagle) on the road from the csarda westwards. Several stopps should produce one or more birds.
I don't know the Bükk-Mountains, but the Zemplen-Mountains east of Bükk. The town of Tokay lies on the southernmost tip of the mountains and is famous for its wines. But drink them after the woodpeckers! We had good views in the forest around Kishuta and Nagyhuta, in the north. Take the road from Tokay to Sarospatak and Satoraljauhely, and go all north (not over the boarder). In Palhaza follow the signs for Kishuta and Nagyhuta (a touristic place). Try around Nagyhuta in the old parts of the forests. There is also a road from Kishutha over the mountains to Ujhuta, but you will need to ask someone. Try the forest around the pass which is very good for White-backed Woodpecker (and, if you are lucky, for Ural Owl).
From Ujhuta you follow the road south to Haromhuta and eventually you will find a bigger road. Go to the right to Regec and down to the plain of the Hernad river. Around Abaujker and Fony Sakers can be found as well.
Also keep in mind that you can hire excellent guides in Hungary. I usually travelled with Aquila, but the don't exist anymore. But if you contact the national park, I'm sure that they could help you.

Greetings from Switzerland
André

Hello Paul,

We saw Saker not too far from the village of Hortobagy, take the road to Debrecen and at the first roundabout go straight on for a further half mile or so and take a farm track on the left (I think it was the first track!) drive down here about 200yds and park up. Scan the line of pylons in front of you for Saker,, we were taken here by a local guide so it should be fairly reliable.
To get to the best Aquatic warbler areas you have to be with an official guide (arranged through the visitor centre) although I would think that August would be a bit late for them (could be wrong).
We were ther last June and Gosneys book was still usefull. One tip, if you visit the fishponds where the grain silos are, climb up on top of the silos (nobody seemed to mind) as this makes it so much easier to view, the reeds are VERY high, and we had eyeball to eyeball confrontations with GW Egret, Bittern, Spoonbill, Marsh Harrier etc that wouldn't have been possible from ground level.

Have fun

Nick

One final point, Paul . . . if you intend to bird early morning/late evening, then take PLENTY of strong mozzie spray - preferably containing deet. I've never seen so many of the little sods anywhere else in Europe!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back