• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovski 10X25 vs. leica 10X25 (1 Viewer)

chinadill said:
I have narrowed my choice down to these two compacts and can't see a difinitive difference. Help me!

OK! You asked for it! Understand that this is limited to your specific problem.

Here it is!! (Ruffle and Flourishes)

TOSS A COIN! Heads, get a Leica. Tails, Get the Swaro.

Bob. 3:) 3:)

You don't indicate which Leica you've looked at, is it the Trinovid or the Ultravid? I'd pick the Swarovski over the Trinovid because it is waterproof and focuses closer, but I'd pick the Ultravid over the Swarovski because it is brighter and focuses closer still! I prefer the ergonomics of both Leicas over the Swarovski.
--AP

chinadill said:
I have narrowed my choice down to these two compacts and can't see a difinitive difference. Help me!
The Ultravid is said to be brighter. We chose it over the Swaro on ergonomics - the oversize focusing wheel of the Ultravid makes it a delight to use.

ceasar said:
OK! You asked for it! Understand that this is limited to your specific problem.

Here it is!! (Ruffle and Flourishes)

TOSS A COIN! Heads, get a Leica. Tails, Get the Swaro.

Bob. 3:) 3:)
It just might come to your coin flip Bob. Good idea.

Alexis Powell said:
You don't indicate which Leica you've looked at, is it the Trinovid or the Ultravid? I'd pick the Swarovski over the Trinovid because it is waterproof and focuses closer, but I'd pick the Ultravid over the Swarovski because it is brighter and focuses closer still! I prefer the ergonomics of both Leicas over the Swarovski.
--AP
Sorry AP, ultravid.

Last edited:
The focussing wheel is better located on the Ultravid binoculars compared with the Swarovskis. I use the 10 x 25 Ultravids and they are FANTASTIC quality.

Alex

Alex_sk said:
The focussing wheel is better located on the Ultravid binoculars compared with the Swarovskis. I use the 10 x 25 Ultravids and they are FANTASTIC quality.

Alex

I can only concur with this evaluation. And I recently showed my 10x25 Ultravids to my brother, an avid birder with a life list above 4500. His reaction was that these were the first compacts that really felt like full sized binoculars when you look through them. And that these were the first compacts he'll seriously consider buying.

Alex_sk said:

Alex
Ultravids--great bright view, better close focus & just-right size focus wheel--just make sure you can hold them without the "shakes". Wife can't hold the 10x because they're too light in weight! Get the armored ones--I see both the leather & armored are now the same price!

Both Leica Ultravid and Swarovski are waterproof but as the members have mentioned already, the Ultravids are 10 years newer, have a closer focus and a much easier to use focussing wheel. It should be a no-brainer on the choice; however, I have heard that there is to be a new EL style Swarovski compact, perhaps next year, so it might be worth waiting....

Steve Rogers said:
Both Leica Ultravid and Swarovski are waterproof but as the members have mentioned already, the Ultravids are 10 years newer, have a closer focus and a much easier to use focussing wheel. It should be a no-brainer on the choice; however, I have heard that there is to be a new EL style Swarovski compact, perhaps next year, so it might be worth waiting....

I think I will wait, thanks Steve.

chinadill said:
I think I will wait, thanks Steve.

There will always be something newer coming out! In the end it is a question of when you "need" or want something and how much you are willing to pay for it. Be sure that the next compact by Swarovski will top the Leica as far as price is concerned. I'm not sure it can top Leica as far as quality of views and handling are concerned. That is just a bit hard to imagine.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back