• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoped Southern Hawker (1 Viewer)

Paul Rule

Paid a visit to the RSPB reserve @ Fowlmere late this afternoon in a belated attempt to capture a "birds and water" pic for this months comp.

Did not have too much success on that front, but lots of Dragon Flies about, and the following image is from my 1st attemt at digiscopeing one. It was very obliging staying in one place for 10 minutes, but I could have done with being a little futher away from if to capture the hole insect (a deep ditch prevented that), so had to go for a cropped image. Managed about 10 shots and this was the best one.

CP4500 +Swaro 65 f6.4 @ 1/29th sec

Attachments

• souther hawker.jpg
    souther hawker.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Good stuff for any attempt I'd say, let alone the first, yes, nice one.

Interesting that it stayed in one place so long, with it being so hot today

Great shot, Paul.

I had the problem of being too close to my first dragonfly, cutting the end of the abdomen off. I'll know better next time. The results I got last week has spurred me on to continue to digiscope more than just birds.

Excellent shot, Paul! Me, neither, but the brown hawkers are around in our area now so shouldn't be long.
A woman from the BDS told me that hawkers sometimes get 'tired' by mid-afternoon and start perching more--certainly seemed to be true of an Emperor I photoed.
Keep up the excellent work!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back