• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone in SOuthern Mexico observing black headed grosbeaks (1 Viewer)

craig whitmore

Were fortunate enough to fledge three families of black headed grosbeaks on my Daughters property in Northern California U.S. this summer. "The hills were alive with music". Adult males left for Mexico about first week in August. Last two of the stragglers were observed Sept 2. Now--the reason for this post.--- Believe I can identify the juvie females, but have the devils own time separating first fall males from adult females. Anyone out there with experience re. bh grosbeaks in the winter season? Do the males arrive first? Do the males go thru an eclipse, so that it's possible I'm misidentifying eclipsed males as first fall males?

Just can't understand how these fantastic animals can make a 3000 mile migration over two mountain ranges without some help from an adult that has been down that road before

Craig :frog:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back