• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Calibrating monitors (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

I want to calibrate my (laptop) monitor so my photos appear closer in colour and brightness to my printed photos. Anyone got any tips. As I seem to be haemorrhaging money recently, cheap ways would be particularly good.

Steve

There are software utilities such as Adobe Gamma that can get some improvement but they are not that good. The only real solution is to use a hardware device to read the screen and work out how to tweak it so that the colours are closer to the intended output. The ColorVision Spyder has come down in price to about £50. There are others too. I have the Spyder (and paid a lot more, damn) and it works well for a CRT display. Be careful that some calibration hardware does not work with LCD monitors. The Spyder I have does. The Warehouse Express site will list some of the available products and then a Google should throw up reviews. Also be aware that laptop displays are not as good as desktop ones (due to constraints of size on the backlight for instance) and so the calibration might not be that brilliant anyway. Maybe if you mention the laptop in the hope that someone else has gone through the same process.

An alternative is to borrow someone elses hardware calibration device, though I'm not sure on the licensing/legal aspects of that and of course I could not advise you to do anything illegal. :)

Leif

£50 would buy a lot of paper and ink, couldn't you just adjust a bit, test print and repeat until you got it right or as right as you wanted it?

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back