• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Xmas in Argentina (1 Viewer)

martinf

Not the best time to go I know but am going to be at Igazcu, BA, Peninsula Valdes and Tierra del Fuego in Dec and early Jan.
Would like some ideas for places to visit and also reccomendations on sound guides to these places

Cheers

martinf said:
Cheers Andrew, just checked that out, what a bloody good website

Described as 'perhaps the greatest thing ever' by no less a birder than Tom McKinney. Where the great have trodden we can but follow.

Hola Martin:

In Tierra del Fuego you ussually visit the 'Tierra del Fuego National Park'. Best way to do it is to hire a car so you can control your timetable. There you could visit Bahia Lapataia, Lago Roca and Bahia Ensenada. Also you could make a trip by ship from Ushuaia to Estancia Harberton, where you could see some seabirds. At Ushuaia you could do some trekking up into the mountains.

With a car you could visit the inland of Tierra del Fuego. You could for example the Ruddy-headed Goose north of the city of Rio Grande on a route to Cabo San Sebastian. Also at Rio Grande you could look for sandpipers at the coast.

Martin:

Take into account the different temperatures you'll find in Argentina.

In Iguazu you'll find temp. from 25 degrees celsius in the early morning going up to 35 or 40 degrees during the day. You should move ussually until 11 am and then visit a swimmingpool. :egghead:
Best option for birdwatching is paying a little more and staying at the Sheraton hotel inside the park because for the rest of human visitors, the park opens at 8 am (for Argentina). You could walk the Macuco trail early (6 am) in the morning. Nice to visit in the town of Puerto Iguazu (Arg) are two places: Güira Oga and Jardin de Picaflores. The first is a rehabilitation center for raptors and has a nice park for birdwatching. The second one is three blocks away from the bus terminal and is a private garden with feeders for hummingbirds. It's nice to visit if you a few hours with nothing to do.
On the brazilian side you could visit the national park and a bird zoo. Inside the park you could do a trail through the forest. Only way to do it is with a local guide. Before entering the national park you'll find 'Parque das Aves' which is a bird zoo. Nice for seeing some birds like the Harpy Eagle.
If you hired a car you could visit another park called Uruguai which lies a 70 Km south from Puerto Iguazu. You must take the national route 12 to the town Wanda and from there the route 19 to Andresito. Another options with a car is to drive through the national park taking the route 101 to Andresito. You could stop whenever you want.

In Buenos Aires you'll find temperatures between 20 and 35 degrees celsius. Best place to visit is the Costanera Sur Reserve. Here a webpage made by a group of friends:
www.costanera.se
Opens at 8 am and closes at 7 pm.

In Peninsula Valdez you'll find temperatures between 10 and 25 degrees celsius. The best solutions is to hire a car and visit all the coast near the town of Puerto Madryn and the peninsula. To the south you'll find a bog Magellanic Penguin colony at Punta Tombo.

In Tierra del Fuego temperatures will be between minus 5 and 10 degrees celsius.

Fritz,
Thanks for the info. I knew the temperature range would be large.
What does Uruguai have that Igauzu doesn't?
Also is there a good field guide to that bit of the world?
Thanks
Martin

martinf said:
Fritz,
Thanks for the info. I knew the temperature range would be large.
What does Uruguai have that Igauzu doesn't?
Also is there a good field guide to that bit of the world?
Thanks
Martin

Martin,

Uruguaí is the same forest like in Iguazu but without tourists. This park has nothing to give to regular tourists because you must take your own food and water. It depends on how many days you are planning to stay in Iguazu.

For Argentina there are two Field Guides available:

'Birds of Southern South America and Antarctica'
by Martin R. de la Pena, Maurice Rumboll

'Birds of Argentina & Uruguay. A Field Guide'
by Tito Narosky, Dario Yzurieta

I personally use the second one because of the better descriptions of the birds. Plates are better in the first one but too crowded.

Fritz,
Thanks again for that info. I'm also using birds of Chile for the Tierra del Fuego. Are there any other areas that you would recommend visiting, like Andean slope?

Martin,

Birds of Chile by Jaramillo is an excellent field guide. I would recommend it every time someone is going to Patagonia.

About other places to visit in Argentina it depends on how much time do you have and which birds do you like to see.

Near Ushuaia you could visit Torres del Paine (Chile) and El Calafate and Fits Roy in Argentina. Not so near to Iguazu but very beautiful is 'Esteros del Iberá' marshland. There are 4 or 5 small hotels with whom you could combine transport from Iguazu or Posadas (a city 300 Km to the south from Iguazu).

Fritz
only have 3 weeks so'll be a bit of a whirlwind trip. I would love to visit 'Esteros del Iberá' but not sure I will be able to fit it in as well as visiting Ushuaia.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back