• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey Heron migration (1 Viewer)

Julian Bell

Natural Born Birder
I've regularly seen herons head out to sea and disappear as specks on the horizon during seawatches. Today one landed on the back deck of the boat I am working on at Ormen Lange (north west of Kristiansund, Norway). Thats a first for me. It was a young bird and no doubt on its way over to the U.K. for the winter.

Digibinned picture of it here

Otherwise migration warming up with a Pied Flycatcher, a Wheatear, a White Wagtail and a Blackcap onboard.

Only seabirds worth a mention were one blue phase fulmar and a Sooty Shearwater.....

What is the name of your grey heron? It looks rather like the white-faced herons we get around here (Egretta novaehollandiae - previously Ardea novaehollandiae)

Vis mig Grey Herons

Interesting as we had quite a few Grey Herons passing along the east coast of Norfolk (UK) at the weekend, and we commented that many were high and appeared to be on the move rather than just local birds making for favoured areas.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back