• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Devon October (1 Viewer)

Brian Bullough

DIGIDOPE
Will be in North Devon mid to late October near Bideford any local information would be gratefull,wader site/hide for photography, any seawatching from this area ? nearby reserves etc. I will have transport but have never been to this area before and would welcome local knowledge.
With Thanks
Brian

Brian Bullough said:
Will be in North Devon mid to late October near Bideford any local information would be gratefull,wader site/hide for photography, any seawatching from this area ? nearby reserves etc. I will have transport but have never been to this area before and would welcome local knowledge.
With Thanks
Brian
Brian, There are a few good spots for waders near Bideford:
Skern on Northam Burrows is only a few miles from Bideford, this is a good site even in bad weather as you can sit in your car and get fairly close to the birds when the tide is in.

The RSPB site at Isley Marsh is only 3 or 4 miles from Bideford situated on the Bideford to Barnstaple Road.

A good seawatch area is Hartland quay which is on the Bideford to Bude Road

My local patch is the Tarka trial between Barnstaple and Bideford which skirts along the Rivers Taw and Torridge for about 9 miles.

Another good site for waders is Fremington Pill - been snapping Redshank, Greenshank, Grey Heron and little egrets there this week.

Let me know if you want more info.
Cheers
Roy C.

Many thanks for the replies I did carry out a thread search but most of the names meant nothing to me as to location hence my mention of Bideford,I know how the key to birding an area when only there for a few days is site information so your help is very welcome.
Brian

Brian Bullough said:
Many thanks for the replies I did carry out a thread search but most of the names meant nothing to me as to location hence my mention of Bideford,I know how the key to birding an area when only there for a few days is site information so your help is very welcome.
Brian

Spent Many hours on the Northam Burrows, if you go to the municipal dump, park and then walk across to the Torridge estuary, you will see some super waders.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=244870&ay=128773

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back