• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone using 10x25 Ultravids? (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I got a pair of 8x20 ultravids some months ago, as compacts I think they are unbelievable. For years, however, I´ve mostly used 10x bins, and I was thinking of selling the 8x20 to buy 10x25. I know the obvious loss of FOV will be a problem, but how do users find the 10x overall? Happy? (Or is there some dark secret I ought to know......... ;) )

I use my 8 x 20 Trinovids extensively, esp for sports, concerts, etc. I wouldn't use a 10x because of the "shake" factor and the narrow FOV. That is, I consider the 8 x 20 a better "all purpose" binocular.
Cordially,
Bob

Sancho said:
I got a pair of 8x20 ultravids some months ago, as compacts I think they are unbelievable. For years, however, I´ve mostly used 10x bins, and I was thinking of selling the 8x20 to buy 10x25. I know the obvious loss of FOV will be a problem, but how do users find the 10x overall? Happy? (Or is there some dark secret I ought to know......... ;) )

Got some earlier this year Sancho and agree with your assessment. I did look at 8×20 at the same time, and whilst there is some FOV loss, for my purposes the extra magnification more than made up for this. Wouldn't mind some 8×42 as well at some stage, but the 10×25 are so good and light that I'm not sure I would use larger ones that much.

Nick

Sancho said:
We bought a pair almost a year ago and have been utterly delighted by their performance in all aspects. The view is very bright (quite shockingly so for the size), very sharp and contrasty. There really is no criticism of them optically. It must be said that eye positioning is a touch less easy than with a full size bin, but that is something you soon adjust to.

The field of view is more than acceptable for a 10x optic, too. Mechanically, as you would expect from Leica, they are as good as it gets. One plus point is the over-large focusing wheel which makes focusing a delight.

If you are going to get 10x25, this may be the choice. I have some reverse porros, 9x25 and 10x25 of similar Nikons. Which one do I use? The 9x25 for casual birding. FOV and brightness reasons. I keep the 10x because it is water proof, OK for boating, canoeing.

Thanks for that, Caesar, Nick Elliston, Scampo and Tero.... I´ll go and test the 10x on Saturday. I feel another bino purchase coming on....Way-Hay!!!
Gonna give that credit card a jolly good thrashing!!! ;)

Good luck. I have to say that if my only choices were 8x and 10x within a brand, I would go for the 10x. If there was an 8,5x, would have to see, 8,5x would have a good chance of being selected.

I use 'em and find them fantastic binoculars! I am young though so am able to keep my hands pretty steady.... ;)

Alex

Sancho said:

There have been rather extensive discussions, or should I say ravings, here earlier. Just use the search function. No dark secrets, instead, one would think some miracles! Or how else can one get such a great view from such a small piece of equipment at such a (relatively) small price? And its handling is very comfortable as well. And unlike Alex, I am not that young any more!

Swissboy said:
There have been rather extensive discussions, or should I say ravings, here earlier. Just use the search function. No dark secrets, instead, one would think some miracles! Or how else can one get such a great view from such a small piece of equipment at such a (relatively) small price? And its handling is very comfortable as well. And unlike Alex, I am not that young any more!
Thanks, Swissboy. I went to the store (there´s only one in Dublin that carries them) and they didn´t have them in stock. Which is great, because now I can enjoy the anticipation for at least another week before I get to test them (this binocular-buying, it IS a disease, isn´t it? ;) )

this binocular-buying, it IS a disease, isn´t it?

How right you are!

Don't bring that up. I am not willing to admit it yet. I just went for the 8x32 Trinovids and I am not sending these back. I don't care what the Mrs. says. ;)

Tero said:
All repeat: I will seek help after the next binocular purchase. ;)
Too right. And one can always point to a thread on "lists of fave bins" and say, "Look, there are guys out there who have FAR more pairs of bins than I have!"

I recently bought a pair of Nikon 8x20 Premier LX bins over the Leicas. Both provide excellent images with the Nikons providing a bit wider fov and good eye relief for glasses. With the specific bins I tried, the Nikons were significantly brighter than the Leicas and that sealed the deal for me.

Lou H said:
I recently bought a pair of Nikon 8x20 Premier LX bins over the Leicas. Both provide excellent images with the Nikons providing a bit wider fov and good eye relief for glasses. With the specific bins I tried, the Nikons were significantly brighter than the Leicas and that sealed the deal for me.

Did you compare them to the Ultravids? And how are the Nikon ergonomics, i.e. the handling?

Swissboy said:
Did you compare them to the Ultravids? And how are the Nikon ergonomics, i.e. the handling?

Yes. It was the Ultravids. The're both very small and light so holding them isn't really a two-fisted affair. One needs to hold them more daintily, perhaps holding up the pinky . The focus on the far end is a little odd but I'm getting used to it. The Ultravid has a weird diopter setting arrangement. Search my name in the bin forum and you'll find a more complete review.

Lou H said:
Yes. It was the Ultravids. The're both very small and light so holding them isn't really a two-fisted affair. One needs to hold them more daintily, perhaps holding up the pinky . The focus on the far end is a little odd but I'm getting used to it. The Ultravid has a weird diopter setting arrangement. Search my name in the bin forum and you'll find a more complete review.

I have the 10x25 Ultravids, and I can't see why that diopter setting is that much of a problem that one would forgo all the excellence these binoculars offer otherwise! Though a bit unusual and thus needing a bit of getting used to, I have never had a problem with it. I'd certainly have much more of a problem with that far-end focus. That is used all the time, whereas the diopter is set once, and then you forget about it.

I am actually thinking of selling a pair. Not my 10x Sporters, too little cash to get and they have some memories. If I damage my other 10x, I can use them as back up.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back