• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Puerto Rico mid to late October (1 Viewer)

peachfront

Help! I have Herbert Raffaele's A guide to the Birds of Puerto RIco and the Virgin Islands. It has some bird-finding information in there in addition to the bird guide but despite its crisp new-looking condition it's dated 1989. Any more current suggestions/ideas out there? I'm leaving real soon. Thanks.

For Locations, check out Blake Maybanks excellent repository http://maybank.tripod.com/Caribbean/Caribbean-Index.htm. There is a number of endemics that should pretty much stay in the same area year-round. You additionally have the possibility of getting some migrant warblers and shorebirds: for the latter, there is an area around a lighthouse in the SW corner (sorry, cannot remember the name) that is supposed to be great. When I was there around may 1, I was a little disapointed by El Yunque, birds seemed scarcer there than at the western end of the island; however, El Yunque is so far your only chance for a PR Parrot.

Niels

Thanks, folks

I'm leaving soon so couldn't order the book/CD Rom suggested although it looks like a good one if a similar invitation falls into my lap with more time to plan. I've printed out a number of the trip reports and I hope that in concert with the Raffaele book I should be able to see a few good ones.

njlarsen said:
For Locations, check out Blake Maybanks excellent repository http://maybank.tripod.com/Caribbean/Caribbean-Index.htm. There is a number of endemics that should pretty much stay in the same area year-round. You additionally have the possibility of getting some migrant warblers and shorebirds: for the latter, there is an area around a lighthouse in the SW corner (sorry, cannot remember the name) that is supposed to be great. When I was there around may 1, I was a little disapointed by El Yunque, birds seemed scarcer there than at the western end of the island; however, El Yunque is so far your only chance for a PR Parrot.

Niels

I had just one day on PR a few years ago and got in touch with a local birder Jose Colon. He was great - showed us round and found us a lot of birds. I have since seen his name as a bird guide so it would be worth contacting him.

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back