• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wildfowlers allegedly caught shooting migrating Barnacle geese. (1 Viewer)

alcedo.atthis

SIX CHARGED OVER SHOT GEESE

16:05 - 09 October 2006
Bird hunters have been charged after protected geese were shot dead in the North-east.

Six men from West Yorkshire were charged in connection with the deaths.

The bodies of seven barnacle geese were found at an organised shoot near Ellon.

The men have been charged for offences under the Wildlife and Countryside Act following the hunt on Friday. Pc George Sangster, a Grampian Police wildlife crime officer, said: "Six men aged between 71 and 35 years, all from West Yorkshire, have been charged after the remains of seven barnacle geese were recovered at an organised shoot near Ellon.

"The barnacle goose is a protected species and cannot be legally shot.

"A report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal in due course."

The barnacle goose has a black head, neck and breast and a white face.

Pc Sangster said: "

Wildlife legislation now includes reckless charges in relation to the killing of wild birds with possible penalties of up to six months in prison and or a £5,000 fine for each offence."

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149235&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149218&contentPK=15636463&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch
Courtesy of This is North Scotland in association with the Press and Journal.

Regards

Malky.

Thanks for posting that Malky

I hope they throw the key away

D

Pinkfoot said:
Can't see that happening, everywhere is full at the moment!
P

LOL Pinkfoot that is very true!

I see this is your first post so may I welcome you on behalf of all the Staff and Moderators.

With your sense of humour I think you'll fit in here very well

D

alcedo.atthis said:
SIX CHARGED OVER SHOT GEESE

16:05 - 09 October 2006
Bird hunters have been charged after protected geese were shot dead in the North-east.

Six men from West Yorkshire were charged in connection with the deaths.

The bodies of seven barnacle geese were found at an organised shoot near Ellon.

The men have been charged for offences under the Wildlife and Countryside Act following the hunt on Friday. Pc George Sangster, a Grampian Police wildlife crime officer, said: "Six men aged between 71 and 35 years, all from West Yorkshire, have been charged after the remains of seven barnacle geese were recovered at an organised shoot near Ellon.

"The barnacle goose is a protected species and cannot be legally shot.

"A report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal in due course."

The barnacle goose has a black head, neck and breast and a white face.

Pc Sangster said: "

Wildlife legislation now includes reckless charges in relation to the killing of wild birds with possible penalties of up to six months in prison and or a £5,000 fine for each offence."

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149235&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149218&contentPK=15636463&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch
Courtesy of This is North Scotland in association with the Press and Journal.

Regards

Malky.
Total idiots. Isn't there enough quarry species around without them having to resort to shooting protected species?

Jonathan

saluki said:
Total idiots. Isn't there enough quarry species around without them having to resort to shooting protected species?

Jonathan

Unfortunately, being idiots, theyt probably did not make the distinction about whether the geese were protected or not. They probably just didn't care.

These stories never cease to amaze...

Surely anyone who has gone through the lengthy and costly procedure of aquiring a shotgun/licence,and attending an organized shoot should have educated themselves on telling the difference between a barnacle goose and the intended target species of the shoot.

Glad they got bagged btw

matt

Last edited:
"Slightly off topic, was it not near Ellon last year that Swans were shot. correct me if I,m wrong."

If it's the incident that I am think of, that was at Inverurie and a rifle was used.

Regards

Malky

There was a single Barnacle on the foreshore at Newburgh yesterday (near the site of the alleged shooting). It had no obvious sign of injury, and could walk OK, and feed on green seaweed, but didn't fly off as I would have expected. I just wondered if it was ill or traumatised in some way. At less than 20m, it was a great photo opportunity, in spite of the atrocious weather.
Ken

Attachments

• IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 177
So with Ducks, Geese, Redwings and fieldfares on the move now and the moon reasonably large I'm hoping to see some migrants on the move at night with my scope aimed out of the loft window.

I realise I won't be able to specifically identify species but can you identify in general terms Passerines, Swans, Ducks, Geese?

(From Moon Watching)

Perhaps that might have been the problem with the wildfowlers, it was around the full moon?

Last edited:
Crecca said:
Perhaps that might have been the problem with the wildfowlers, it was around the full moon?
As in lunacy?

Or might it have been too bright for them to recognise the species - forgot their RayBans?

Better to hold fire until the quarry can be verified.

Andy.

PS: Welcome to BF, Crecca.

Pinkfoot said:
Can't see that happening, everywhere is full at the moment!
P

Well when they let out people who have only committed minor misdemenours like non-payment of tv licence, council tax, etc, there will be some room. Anyway this is in Scotland, their jails may not be as full as those in England or Wales. Anyway, I don't see the need for shooting, full stop, and I hope these particular morons get a nice big fine, long sentence and can never acquire firearms again.

Vectis Birder said:
Well when they let out people who have only committed minor misdemenours like non-payment of tv licence, council tax, etc, there will be some room. Anyway this is in Scotland, their jails may not be as full as those in England or Wales. Anyway, I don't see the need for shooting, full stop, and I hope these particular morons get a nice big fine, long sentence and can never acquire firearms again.

My philosophy in life: Do what you want to do and let no one else stop you. Sure, there's always a relative or someone out to stop you or offer no encouragement to you but what they think doesn't matter. If you live life according to what others want or think you should do, then you'll get nothing done.

A bit confusing from the same person!

As long as things are shot legally, there is nothing wrong with shooting.

Tasty meals as well.

P

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back