• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Hong Kong, suggestions for tour operators please. (1 Viewer)

Hanno

Ho Ho Ho
Hiya all,

My better half and I have decided to visit Hong Kong next April (still need that Spoon-billed Sandpiper).

Inherently lazy during our holidays, we would like to have as much as possible organized on the ground. Do any of you ahve any recomendatiosn for a tour operator who could help here? I did check the web, but the two operators, HK Eco Tours and HK Kingfisher Tours, seem to have gone out of business.

Thank you in advance,

Hanno

Hanno said:
Hiya all,

My better half and I have decided to visit Hong Kong next April (still need that Spoon-billed Sandpiper).

Inherently lazy during our holidays, we would like to have as much as possible organized on the ground. Do any of you ahve any recomendatiosn for a tour operator who could help here? I did check the web, but the two operators, HK Eco Tours and HK Kingfisher Tours, seem to have gone out of business.

Thank you in advance,

Hanno

Hi Hanno
wondered if you had had any luck with search. Likewise, visiting Hong Kong in April (1st week): unfortunately, my 'better half' is not a birder but I think I'm being let off from the sightseeing/shopping etc for one day for some serious birding and hoping to get in Mai Po (permit process underway) and Tai Po Kau, although I don't know if both are do-able in a day and if I can get my bearings 'on the ground'. Am also trawling the HKBWS site, but like you noticed that HK eco tours have stopped. Anyway, would be grateful for any info you may have gleaned
Thanks
Regards
sneil

This summer (not the best time to be birding Hong Kong) I managed to visit both Mai Po and Tai Po Kau and a couple of other sites with guiding assistance from Martin Williams (see www.drmartinwilliams.com for his contact details). I also used Martin's services on a visit a couple of years ago. Martin used to run scheduled bird watching tours so is very knowledgable about the birds but also about the other wildlife, and the history and ecology of Hong Kong generally.

If you get chance spend an hour or so in Kowloon Park as this will be a good introduction to the birds of Hong Kong. Also worth a visit for the birding as well as the views is Victoria Peak. Take the tram up and do the circular path round the summit. Then you can walk down the far side and catch a bus back to the city. (Total trip is a good half day including birding time). Both of these can be easily done without a guide.

Julian

sneil said:
Hi Hanno
wondered if you had had any luck with search. Likewise, visiting Hong Kong in April (1st week): unfortunately, my 'better half' is not a birder but I think I'm being let off from the sightseeing/shopping etc for one day for some serious birding and hoping to get in Mai Po (permit process underway) and Tai Po Kau, although I don't know if both are do-able in a day and if I can get my bearings 'on the ground'. Am also trawling the HKBWS site, but like you noticed that HK eco tours have stopped. Anyway, would be grateful for any info you may have gleaned
Thanks
Regards
sneil

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back