• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A quick visit to Bull Island, Dublin (1 Viewer)

Mabel

Dance the ghost with me
OK, so I sleep it in for college, and, missing my first lecture at 9, the next one doesn't start again until 3. So I'm frazzled and decide to go in at 12 anyway. So as I head into college, I pass by the Bull Island nature reserve, and I decided to stop by for literally 40 minutes. So, I emphasize that this was a quick visit, and is by no means a definitive list of what Bull Island has to offer. But, seeing so much in such a short space of time is still fairly impressive, I think.

First up, the first Brent Geese I have seen of the year are back. Little Egrets are appearing in ever increasing numbers and Grey Herons were also present. Mallards, Teal, some Shelduck and Tufted Duck paddled around and I saw Moorhen and Coot too - this must be due to a freshwater pond nearby. The wader front was predictably good, with good views of Oystercatchers, Spotted Redshank, Ringed Plovers, Golden Plovers, Redshank and Curlews. All of Ireland's common species of Gull were to be found. ( Lesser and Greater black-backs, Herring Gulls, Common Gulls and Black-headed Gulls). Hooded Crows, Rooks, Mute Swans, and Magpies also showed up.

I couldn't stick around to ID some of the other waders present, not to mention the many passerines that were also there. I hope to visit again next weekend, for a more detailed report. This is a taster, anyway. Only twenty minutes from where I live, it's one of the best birding sites I know of.

Coot is a good bird on Bull Island. Downright rare in fact. Grew u there, its my stomping ground, so to speak. Learned the trade there, not many better sites to cut your teeth on in my opipion. Some fantastic memories...

Update (well late Octaober-I just found my list now) Saw:
Whimbrel
Purple Sandpipers
Shelduck
Mallard
Jackdaw
Magpie
Woodpigeon
Herring Gull
Oystercatcher
Stonechat
Common Sandpiper
Starling
Little Egret (getting commoner by the month, so it seems)
Pied Wagtail
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Redshank
Black-headed Gull
Hooded Crow
Rook
Skylark
Meadow Pipit
Spotted Redshank (only one this time)
Brent Geese (coming in slowly but surely)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back