• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montenegro - Skadar Lake etc (1 Viewer)

Paul Heath

:hi: everyone
Any advice on good bird things to do in Montenegro? Is October a good time to go or is there a better one? Is Skadar Lake a suitable place to take a keen 80+ year old enjoying a new lease of birding life after a cataract op? Unbounded thanks for any ideas or thoughts.
Paul

Hi Paul and welcome from all the staff and moderators at Bird Forum.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with some advice for you, don't forget to report back on your holiday

D

delia todd said:
Hi Paul and welcome from all the staff and moderators at Bird Forum.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with some advice for you, don't forget to report back on your holiday

D
Delia..thanks. Later I checked for similar threads and see not much information, so........assume not hopeful. Anyway, appreciate any thoughts anyone can give.
Best .........................Paul

Hi Paul

Here is a link to a trip report from Lake Skadar, although it is a few years old:

http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/serbia/mont1/Montenegro97.html

I have actually been there myself, but it was many years ago (late 70s?) on a childhood touring holiday (my parents were adventurous in their choice of holiday destinations!). I don't remember too much about it except I think it is one of the places I saw Pygmy cormorants.

Last edited:
Capercaillie71 said:
Hi Paul

Here is a link to a trip report from Lake Skadar, although it is a few years old:

http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/serbia/mont1/Montenegro97.html

I have actually been there myself, but it was many years ago (late 70s?) on a childhood touring holiday (my parents were adventurous in their choice of holiday destinations!). I don't remember too much about it except I think it is one of the places I saw Pygmy cormorants.

Hi Capercaillie71,
Thanks for the link. It is an interesting report and it does seem to imply that a boat trip is needed. So, I think we can follow up with the hotel on that. Visit is now moved to Septemberish, which may be better for some migrating birds and possibly the remains of summer breeding. I bet it was less spoilt when you were there. .

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated by all. Hope the autumn/winter nights are not closing in too fast on you.........................Paul

Info on Montenegro birding please

Hello Paul,
How did your trip go? I am v interested in the state of birding in Montenegro. Have you written up a report yet? I would like to read it and maybe chat a bit about your impressions of Montenegro.

Has anyone else got any experience of birding in Montenegro?

Bruce Irvine said:
Hello Paul,
How did your trip go? I am v interested in the state of birding in Montenegro. Have you written up a report yet? I would like to read it and maybe chat a bit about your impressions of Montenegro.

Has anyone else got any experience of birding in Montenegro?

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for interest. Haven't been yet as the enquiry was an advance one for a 2007 plan. Parts of the family interested in a holiday there so I thought I'd check out possibilities. Doesn't look as if much information around except the atmospheric description of Lake Skadar referenced earlier in the thread which is worth a read.
Let me know if you find anything.
Regards.................Paul

Hello,
I was in Montenegro with my parents in August 2005 and 2006. In 2005 we visited Skadar Lake where we made a boat trip, starting at Virpazar (a little settlement) and in 2006 we went into the inland to the National parks "Biogradska Gora" and "Durmitor". Although it wasn't a real birdwatching trip, I did some (simple) birding during the tour 2006, i.e. I wrote down the birds I've seen along the coast and the other parts of the country during driving, walking and hiking. So this list is in no way representative for the bird diversity. Personally I like the unique landscape of Montenegro (and Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina as well) very much and I think the big uninhabited areas offer several more or less unexplored birding places.

So if you are interested in some pictures of Skadar Lake and other places at the coast (river Bojana or the marshes "Solile" for instance) and the inner part of the country or if you are interested in my short trip report (I wrote it for myself so it's in German language, but with latin bird names and it also contains some observations in Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegowina) you can contact me.

With kind regards,
Markus

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back