• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Record price for used 7x42 Classic ? (1 Viewer)

solentbirder

Is this a record ? In the last few days a Zeiss 7x42 Classic (described as mint) was sold on eBay in the UK for £845. Let me type that again...£845 !
Has anyone seen one go for more ?

I guess these are becoming serious collectors items. If you bought one in mint condition for this much money I can hardly imagine you'd be subjecting it to the rigours of bird watching through the coming winter.

I think I'll keep mine until it's worth £1000 ;)

The other day i saw an icecream scoop that sold for $900. Who would have tought that bottled water will one day become a multi-billion dollar industry? Grandpa' was right: the world is full of idiots, you just have to find something to sell to them.

Crikey! I paid US$850 for mine, three and a half years, ago.
On Astromart's classified, there is someone desperate for a Zeiss 15x60, new in the box with all papers included, of course. I wonder if he is either a speculator or a collector.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I think it is because it is a 7 x 42. They are becoming an endangered species. Check out the prices on the exstinct 6 x 42's! When one comes on the market!

I wonder what my Leitz 7 x 42 BA Trinovids will bring?

Cordially,
Ceasar
I came,
I saw,
I changed my binoculars!

ceasar said:
I think it is because it is a 7 x 42. They are becoming an endangered species. Check out the prices on the exstinct 6 x 42's! When one comes on the market!

I wonder what my Leitz 7 x 42 BA Trinovids will bring?

Cordially,
Ceasar
I came,
I saw,
I changed my binoculars!

Ceasar,

I have that one, as well, but I would reserve it for a storm or a trip on my yacht, the Staten Island Ferry. The Dialyt is a very friendly, easy to use binocular, even if it a little bulky. Should the price of the BA reach US$700, let me know.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Amazing. An extinct dinosaur and folks still want a pair. Personally, I think there are better choices in 7x42s that are actually available new. Obviously, YMMV.

Clear skies, Alan

Tim Allwood said:
best bins ever made

worth every penny

their track record of reliability is unbeatable

Tim

Tim,

Fit and feel of binoculars in the hand makes them a very personal choice. The Zeiss 7x42s were just not fot me - a bad fit in my hands, very stiff focuser, and I thought the optics on the Swarovski 7x42 SLC were better (as did two other experienced optics users who were with me). I'd had many folks highly recommend the Zeiss, and they were certainly a disappointment when I finally tried a pair. Obviously, some folks think otherwise, and it's nice that we have so many choices.

Clear skies, Alan

AlanFrench said:
Tim,

Fit and feel of binoculars in the hand makes them a very personal choice. The Zeiss 7x42s were just not fot me - a bad fit in my hands, very stiff focuser, and I thought the optics on the Swarovski 7x42 SLC were better (as did two other experienced optics users who were with me). I'd had many folks highly recommend the Zeiss, and they were certainly a disappointment when I finally tried a pair. Obviously, some folks think otherwise, and it's nice that we have so many choices.

Clear skies, Alan

I had my Zeiss 7 x 42 focuser re-greased by Zeiss under the lifetime warranty and it is presently incredibly smooth without any backlash or hesitation. You may be right that there was "sharper" competing 7 x 42's, but the Zeiss field of view is addictive. I'm with Tim - wouldn't swap mine for the Queen's engagement ring.

chartwell99 said:
I had my Zeiss 7 x 42 focuser re-greased by Zeiss under the lifetime warranty and it is presently incredibly smooth without any backlash or hesitation. You may be right that there was "sharper" competing 7 x 42's, but the Zeiss field of view is addictive. I'm with Tim - wouldn't swap mine for the Queen's engagement ring.

The wide true field was one reason I was anxious to try these. Unfortunately, they were not the best for me. The 7x42 Leicas and Swaros have an 8 degree field, so they are not far behind.

Clear skies, Alan

AlanFrench said:
The wide true field was one reason I was anxious to try these. Unfortunately, they were not the best for me. The 7x42 Leicas and Swaros have an 8 degree field, so they are not far behind.

Clear skies, Alan

I was keen to get a pair of the Zeiss 7x42s last autumn. At that time there were still a few new ones knocking around in optics shops. Maybe there still are? I looked through them and shop assistant suggested that I compared them to a Swarovski old SLC 7x42, which were being sold at a very similar price, maybe even a touch cheaper.

I studied them carefully and came away with the Swarovskis. There's no doubt the Zeiss are very good, but for me the Swarovski's gave a better view. I also prefer the SLCs eyecups and focussing wheel. They are heavier though.

I'm not knocking the Zeiss, as they are clearly very good, with a proven record of performance and durability, but for me there are better 7x42s available, and I expect my Swarovskis to last many years.

I understand however, the appeal of owning a Zeiss 7x42 and why some one has paid over £800 for a pair. They surely have some historical value in terms binocular evolution. Maybe I should have bought the new pair as well as the Swarovskis, when I had the chance last year?

This site may be of interest to other readers of this thread.

Last edited:
As you say, there is no doubt that the Zeiss 7x42 is a fine binocular. I just object to calling any binocular "the best." You can only decide what is best in your hands - and there is no one binocular that is suitable and "best" for all of us.

Clear skies, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back