• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

lens hood on ed50 (1 Viewer)

stuart C smith

swansong
b. f. members may be interested in a mod that i made to my nikon ed50 scope. due to the lack of a deep lens hood i fitted a 55mm rubber camera lens hood which screws onto the existing, but shallow ed50 hood, thus affording extra protection for the scope, from bright sunlight , knocks etc . the hood is black and matches the scope very nicely, it is double threaded and takes my 55mm marumi filter. when the hood is collapsed back the nikon lens cap snaps on easily the whole thing takes up little space and adds almost nothing to the length of the scope when stored. kind regards stuart.

stuart C smith said:
b. f. members may be interested in a mod that i made to my nikon ed50 scope. due to the lack of a deep lens hood i fitted a 55mm rubber camera lens hood which screws onto the existing, but shallow ed50 hood, thus affording extra protection for the scope, from bright sunlight , knocks etc . the hood is black and matches the scope very nicely, it is double threaded and takes my 55mm marumi filter. when the hood is collapsed back the nikon lens cap snaps on easily the whole thing takes up little space and adds almost nothing to the length of the scope when stored. kind regards stuart.

Hi Stuart, thanks for this interesting suggestion. Can you supply the manufacturer and possibly the order number for this lens hood, please?

Swissboy said:
Hi Stuart, thanks for this interesting suggestion. Can you supply the manufacturer and possibly the order number for this lens hood, please?
hi swissboy, got it off ebay for 99 cents plus post. go into photograpy on ebay, tap in [ hoods 55mm ] study the photos of the rubber hoods for sale, dont get a wide angle hood [to shallow]. find a black not grey hood that has a pleasing shape for you and clearly shows that it has a filter thread [not all have]. and away you go. regards stuart.

Last edited:
stuart C smith said:
hi swissboy, got it off ebay for £0.99 plus post. go into photograpy on ebay, tap in [ hoods 55mm ] study the photos of the rubber hoods for sale, dont get a wide angle hood [to shallow]. find a black not grey hood that has a pleasing shape for you and clearly shows that it has a filter thread [not all have]. and away you go. regards stuart.

Thanks, Stuart, I'll give it a try!

Swissboy said:
Thanks, Stuart, I'll give it a try!
hi , the guy i got mine from on ebay is [member 446885 ] he has more on uk ebay today items 170044980645 / 629 /659 /670 etc. all starting at 99 cents , look to be the same as mine. do not get the clip on hoods [no filter thread] kind regards stuart. p. s. kauser international trading in the uk have marumi filters [d h g lens protect] at half price.

Last edited:
stuart C smith said:
hi , the guy i got mine from on ebay is [member 446885 ] he has more on uk ebay today items 170044980645 / 629 /659 /670 etc. all starting at 99 cents , look to be the same as mine. do not get the clip on hoods [no filter thread] kind regards stuart.

It took a bit of searching first. Ebay .de and .com did not have this Photography category. So I switched to .co.uk. Good to know that it might be worth checking different branches. I figured the offers from 446885 might about fit into what you had advised. So I ordered one (I got into it just 20 minutes before the end of that first item). Figured I could hardly go wrong for that small amout of money. But thanks for your confirmation, Stuart. It's nice to know in advance that what I should get will fit. In my case it's even a bit more complicated, as that ED50 is still at my son's home till he brings it from the US. I'm "upgrading" in advance, so to speak. But I think I'll wait with the filter till I have the scope. I might even have one sitting around on an old camera lens.

Last edited:
Swissboy said:
It took a bit of searching first. Ebay .de and .com did not have this Photography category. So I switched to .co.uk. Good to know that it might be worth checking different branches. I figured the offers from 446885 might about fit into what you had advised. So I ordered one (I got into it just 20 minutes before the end of that first item). Figured I could hardly go wrong for that small amout of money. But thanks for your confirmation, Stuart. It's nice to know in advance that what I should get will fit. In my case it's even a bit more complicated, as that ED50 is still at my son's home till he brings it from the US. I'm "upgrading" in advance, so to speak. But I think I'll wait with the filter till I have the scope. I might even have one sitting around on an old camera lens.
great, well done.

Swissboy said:
...Figured I could hardly go wrong for that small amout of money. But thanks for your confirmation, Stuart. It's nice to know in advance that what I should get will fit. In my case it's even a bit more complicated, as that ED50 is still at my son's home till he brings it from the US. I'm "upgrading" in advance, so to speak....

Well, I finally got that ED50, and you know what? The lens hood does not fit. I only now realized that I was sent the wrong size. Got a 52mm size instead of the 55mm that I had ordered. :C

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back