• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

can pythons survive frost? (1 Viewer)

I don't know but there are loads of snakes in India and it gets pretty cold at night in the winter in northern India. So my guess is that they can.

I have seen Boelens python (Papua endemic) at very high altitudes in Snow moutains; a place which I assume get very gold certain parts of the year.

motacilla oenenthe said:
so its possible for burmese pythons in the everglades to expand their range north in florida past the frost line?
Florida may tighten restrictions on pythons

The state is considering tightening their restrictions on them.

Florida may tighten restrictions on pythons
By David Fleshler, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
December 22, 2006

With giant snakes battling alligators in the Everglades, the state wildlife commission has proposed sharp restrictions on the owners of Burmese pythons and four other nonnative reptiles, including a requirement to implant their slithery pets with computer identification chips.

Florida's hot and wet climate has made the state a congenial home for species from Africa, Asia and South America let loose by their owners after they become too big or too high-maintenance. A breeding population of Burmese pythons has been discovered in Everglades National Park, where the constrictors have killed native birds, mammals, and in one notorious incident, an alligator. Elsewhere in the state, trappers routinely catch pythons and other large non-native snakes.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-reptiles22dec22,1,2774679.story?coll=la-headlines-nation

If they can find someplace to crawl into to escape the frost, then yes, they should be able to survive, in theory.

I have a newspaper article that says that in 2002. and 2003. they caught 150 burmese pythons in the Everglades!

Probably they will expand beyond the frost line, given that they are a very adptable species.

Papuan birder said:
I have seen Boelens python (Papua endemic) at very high altitudes in Snow moutains; a place which I assume get very gold certain parts of the year.

Hello Papaun birder,

I'm currently researching Boelens pythons in the states, I would be very much interested in speaking to you about your findings, all the best

Bryan

Grayboelen said:
Hello Papaun birder,

I'm currently researching Boelens pythons in the states, I would be very much interested in speaking to you about your findings, all the best

Bryan

Hello,

I will send you a PM

I think the issue here isn't their ability to survive frost but rather their ability to lead functional reproductive lives when exposed to prolongued cold weather - normal function like digestion or reproduction will, hopefully, become impossible for feral burmese pythons when/if they get much further north than florida

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back