• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which camera for pentax pf 80 ed? (1 Viewer)

Jacek Zarzycki said:
I use Olympus camedia ultra zoom c750. But this camera isn't good enough...Which camera would you recommend for digiscoping ?
Unless you can get your hands on a good quality used Nikon CP990 or CP4500...

I'm still very much a beginner here but after much research I have just bought the latest model Fujifilm FinePix F30. This seems to me to be regarded as the latest "best buy" for both general and digiscoping photography. It has a large high-resolution bright viewing screen that allows for easy focusing. It also has a unique (for a compact camera) and very useful range of photo-sensitivity that allows two full stops of extra exposure if needed in duller light conditions whilst still keeping the shot exceptionally noise free. This will be very useful indeed in digiscoping which suffers from lower light levels and blur caused by camera movement / low shutter speeds. Sadly, the camera lacks a filter thread so cannot be used with a tube type adapter as the CP4500 can.

My initial idea was to buy the new Canon A640 which has a rotating LCD screen, but it had two problems: the viewing screen, whilst nice and bright, has lower resolution which will make focusing less easy; also, the 4x zoom mechanism seems odd in its action making it very difficult to remove the vignette shadows around the image. The Canon is also said to introduce far more digital noise compared to the Fuji at ASA400 equivalent and above.

Last edited:
The Fujifilm E900 is a very fine point-and-shot that should be excellent for digiscoping. 9MP with good noise characteristics. Takes AA batteries. Great camera!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back