• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Trinidad (1 Viewer)

streatham

It seems to be a general concensus that A Guide to the Birds of Trinidad and Tobago by Ffrench leaves quite a lot to be desired as far as a fieldguide is concerned - does anyone have any idea what might be used as a backup guide.

Luke

streatham said:
It seems to be a general concensus that A Guide to the Birds of Trinidad and Tobago by Ffrench leaves quite a lot to be desired as far as a fieldguide is concerned - does anyone have any idea what might be used as a backup guide.

Luke

Hilty's Birds of Venezuela. covers everything i believe plus a LOT more

Hi Luke

I'm going to Trinidad in January (can't wait, it's unspeakably cold in Reykjavík today, windchill of -35°C according to the radio aaaaahhhh) and I've decided to take only Hilty's Birds of Venezuela. I've had people advise to take only the Hilty, only ffrench's book (which everyone agrees is poor) or both. I've had Hilty's book for a couple of months and it looks very good, and has some of the best text I've seen in any field guide, he's got a great way with words. The drawback is that it has around 1,000 excess species and is a huge book. I think I'll risk the dislocated shoulder and take it.

E

Hi Edward and Pete,

Thanks for the prompt responses. Wish I was going as well Edward - just sorting out some info for a friend. It seems like the Ffrench book is universally derided as being pretty useless (no offense to anyone involved) with wierd anomalies like plates of nominate races of species not even seen on the island?

Luke

Hi Streatham,

Agree with above comments about quality and size. See this thread (and then others) for more info that could be helpful: Trinidad

I envy anyone heading there. Great place!

When I visited Trinidad I brought both the ffrench book and the old Venezuela guide (de Schaunsee and Phelps), and as I remember things, the ffrench book was with me in the field and the other one stayed in the room. There was a couple of species for which I definitely was happy to have the Venezuela guide, but for most I did not need it.

The link Dave provided mentions staying at Asa Wright vs Pax guest house; I have tried both. Asa Wright wins hands down if you want to use trails from where you are. If you have transportation and want to visit other places like the Caroni Swamp, then Pax is good and somewhat cheaper. The veranda on Pax is also good (not quite as great as AW), I saw Ornate Hawk-Eagle from there.

Cheers
Niels

I took Hilty's AND Ffrench's books -text in the latter is informative but the Venezuelan book although bulky, wins hands down as a fieldguide.

There is a small photographic guide produced by Roger Neckles in association with Richard Ffrench but it only covers a modest range of species & is really not suitable for the serious birder. That said Roger Neckles has some top bird images on display at Crown Point & Piarco airports as well as on the walls of the Asa Wright centre.

Like Niels I enjoyed the Asa Wright Centre -it was very quiet when we were there in early may & the birding along the trails was great. Also did trips (wife & I) with Dave Ramlal & his father Rudal -excellent company, top birding guides & very nice people. Without other birders present we seemed to see much more, only problem about May in Trinidad is that the majority of the Scarlet Ibis are breeding so the Caroni swamp trip is not then as spectacular as it is when the roost is in full use.

For us Trinidad was a top trip.

Last edited:
Ffrench for field use. Also Kaufman if you're doing shoreline or mudflat birding. My Hilty usually stays in the car since it's too big and pretty fragile.

When you're in Trinidad, if you get the time, you may want to consider birding in the South West peninsula area also. The beautiful area will likely be replaced shortly by Aluminium Smelters so this will be the last opportunity to see the scenic area.

Yes, many in the country are extremely angry. The country is quietly becoming a dictatorship under the guise of democracy. See my post on the smelter situation below. The problem is there seems no effective way to stop what is happening.

rka

:C Aluminium Smelters in Trinidad & Tobago

I live in a third world country and the current government has a third world way of thinking. They plan to construct three Aluminium Smelters against wide public opposition and destroy one of the most scenic areas in Trinidad.

The long term consequences clearly have not been considered and there is not even a strong economic case based on the cheap energy that is being 'given away' to the Alutrint and Alcoa projects.

Experts and naturalists within and beyond the shores have warned of the potential damage to water supplies, production of significant toxic waste etc. and the list goes on. The population in and beyond the area is also at risk.

A sad sad day when this type of travesty can even be considered, let alone happen.

For those that do not know, Trinidad is already highly industrialised based on the reserves of Natural Gas and Oil. There are also other industries such as Iron and Steel, Methanol and Ammonia. Many warn that the concentration of the existing industry is ill advised. Instead of developing other types of industry (IT, Eco-Tourism etc.), the current government is sticking to approaches of the 1970s that many developed nations have long since abandoned. The laying down of high-risk pollution generating industries is even prohibited in many developed nations, unless these industries are carefully located and considered in the context of many other factors. Needless to say, minimal thinking has been done in Trinidad.

If these smelters are constructed, I will leave this beautiful island. I continue to support those opposed to this madness.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back