• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good Hide Etiquette (1 Viewer)

cjay

Recently seen on Minsmere's Whats about leaflet.

1. Talk Quietly in the hides & along the trails.

2. Limit the use of mobile phones

3. Try to avoid using tripods in the hides.

Is this going too far?

What do you think?

What next CCTV Cameras in hides so you don't string birds?

Colin.

I think you should be able to use Manfrottos as they can be used sitting down with the legs at 90 degrees and one down between your feet.

No one seems to worry about those kind of rules. Common sense prevails most of the time. Basically there should be one rule, be nice to others.

Andrew said:
I think you should be able to use Manfrottos as they can be used sitting down with the legs at 90 degrees and one down between your feet.

No one seems to worry about those kind of rules. Common sense prevails most of the time. Basically there should be one rule, be nice to others.

I'm with you on that one Andrew :t: or is it 2!

Not using tripods is just plain silly - especially for those of us who take photos.

The rest of the "rules" are good commonsense, but it's indicative of the way things are that reducing the use of mobile phones even needs to be mentioned. As far as I'm concerned in those situations they should be on either silent ring or turned off completely.

Neil

I think the comment about tripods can be fair enough. The hides at Minsmere can get very busy and in some circumstances it is antisocial to take up a huge amount of floor space when people are queuing to get in the hide.

All of the rules could be summed up by saying behave with respect for others. Unfortunately birders (as well as the rest of the population) have a minority of people who don't. Don't even start me on mobile phones!

Dear all,

I endorse your comments
Courtesy and consideration are attributes that most bird watchers have in abundance add a soupcon of common sense and there would be no need for rules.

Here I must confess to behaving very badly a few days ago.

I held a door open for an attractive leady and she forcibly said.
“You don’t have to hold the door because I’m a woman”
To my everlasting shame I said.
“I’m NOT I’m holding it open because I’m a gentleman”

Perhaps it was the heat.

Mobile telephones are frightful contraptions.

Kind Regards.
Gordon Boreham-Styffe.

smeltmill said:
Dear all,

I held a door open for an attractive leady and she forcibly said.
“You don’t have to hold the door because I’m a woman”
To my everlasting shame I said.
“I’m NOT I’m holding it open because I’m a gentleman”

Nice!
I bet she was wearing dungarees, sensible shoes and a man's watch!

The tripod suggestion is a good one for busy hides.... a bench clamp is the best solution.
My main gripe is people letting go of the door on the way out and allowing it to shut with a bang.... keep your hand on it as you close it!

Recently a family came into a hide I was in and the kids were a little noisey - well enthusiastic. One birder made shushing noises. He looked a right prat when his mobile went off.

Surely common sense should prevail with tripods? If you pod is stopping people sit then take it down. The great thing with the little midget is I can use it on a monopod on handheld in hides if necessary.

Okay, I'll concede if a tripod is taking up excess space then yes, it needs to be taken down. Anyway, as been summed up, it is all about consideration for others.

And smeltmill, there's nothing to be ashamed about that response, it was just perfect.

Neil

I liked your comment smeltmill, mind if I barrow it for future use? :t: and anyway how was she to know that you wouldn't have held the door for anyone!!

Dear Tony,
Good evening.

Oh dear, I am suffering from mixed emotions.
It was a confession to salve my conscience but it struck a chord with some of you and now I am being flattered rather than admonished for my unforgivable behavior.
Not being in a position to stop you I request that you do not credit me with the copyright if you do quote me.

I have fond memories of a romantic interlude at Slapton.

Kindest regards to both you and your family.
Gordon Boreham-Styffe.

Fear not Gordon, you have no need to “salve” your “conscience”, she was the one being egocentric (that’s not bad for a Sunday) and being obnoxious. In fact I’d go further to say she proved she was no lady by her behaviour.

Thank you for your kindest regards, my family and I send you ours.

Dear Neil.

Thank you for the kind comment.
I tried the rather lame excuse about excessive heat as we are designed for drizzle.

Rather fun to think this missive will magically appear on your computer screen faster than I can drink my nightcap.

Enjoy your bird watching.
Gordon Boreham-Styffe

As Smeltmill said, you tend to say the wrong thing on the spur of the moment. So I suspect that people who always say apt things on the spur of the moment have spent hours rehearsing them. Try rehearsing this for next time: "Very sorry, my mistake, thought it was for a person who'd say thank you".

The thing that annoys me is people waving their arm out of the hide window in order to explain the whereabouts of a bird. "No, it's over there to the left. See that big tree over there (arms flailing about wildly), well go left and up a bit, blah, blah."

I remember reading years ago that this was not to be done as it scares the birds away. I haven't seen any signs in hides not to do this. Has the theory been disproven?

I recall once at Slimbridge there was a chap in one of the hides talking in a really loud voice. I asked him to keep his voice down and he said the geese were too far off to hear him. Not surprising really!

Went in a hide once and a group came in talking rather loudly. Turned out it was the warden showing some people round! His voice seemed to have no ill effect on the birds at all and I must confess I actually enjoyed the fact that a conversation broke out. Sometimes it is too much like being in church or a doctors surgery and I think everyone is being quiet for everyone elses sake. Once someone speaks it breaks the ice. As for children I would rather hear their (reasonable) noise and lose a bird rather than lose their enthusiasm. Just a personal opinion.

James

James good point!!! I think you're truly right. At some times it can be annoying when people have a lot of noise, especially when the talk is irrelevant to the birding. I once had tons of fun when we shared a hide with a french couple and i tried to translate all the birdnames from the birds we saw. The he started to talk in french to me, whic horrified me since i dont speak it very well. Luckily he asked me then, tu parle anglais? I never said oui that quick...

I've occasionally had to ask people to put out their poison gas generators - not just for the comfort and health of other users, but also hides are usually made of wood and can catch fire easily :storm:

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back