• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ribble Birding, Lancs. (1 Viewer)

Colin Bushell

I moved to Preston in Lancs from Herts in 2001 and having been "landlocked" for so long I soon acquainted myself with some new birding areas of coastal Lancs. The first sites I visited were on the Ribble Estuary, mostly on the north shore near Freckleton and Warton. This area soon became a favourite of mine but it wasn't long before the scarce birds turning up at Brockholes Quarry just east of Preston made this site too hard to resist too. So my "patch limits" were set: Ribble Valley about six miles east and 10 miles west of my home in Preston.

Over the past five years I've seen some good birds in the Ribble Valley: Honey Buzzard, Ring-billed Gull, Spoonbill, Glossy Ibis, Temminck's Stint, Long-tailed Duck (cracking summer plumaged male at Preston Docks), Waxwing, Yellow-browed Warbler, etc, etc, etc ...... But it's the everyday stuff that gives me a lot of pleasure up here - the estuary is just loaded with birds (especially at the moment!) and nothing gives me more of a thrill than huge gatherings of birds.

Last Sunday (19 Nov) was my first chance to get out locally after my latest trip abroad. My first stop of the day at Warton Bank was pretty uneventful really - just 11 Whoopers out on the saltmarsh and 6 Little Egrets (a Lancs max. for me at the time). I spent some time searching through stubble here and found some Tree Sparrows. I only saw parties of 8 or 9 but apparently there's about 30 around at the moment. It was quite late by the time I got to Freckleton and the footpath down to Naze Point that overlooks the estuary. The fields around Naze Pool were loaded with birds: 1500+ Lapwings, 550+ Golden Plover, 35+ Black-tailed Godwits and a huge flock of Starlings. A nice mixed tit flock in the woods along Freckleton Creek held a couple of Goldcrests and a Chiffchaff but the sound of Pink-footed Geese in the distance meant I hurried a bit to Naze Point. "Pinks" are usually just fly-overs in this area and usually only seen as distance specks on the deck across the Ribble at Hesketh Marsh across from Warton, sI was pleasantly surprised to find a huge flock of 3,000 or so feeding on Longton Marsh. A white-necked bird had the pulse racing for a few seconds in the fading light of a late November afternoon but excitement soon faded when the bird stood up and revealed itself to be an escaped Emperor Goose! Another "sweep" through the geese with the 'scope produced the goods in the form of 3 Barnacle Geese - a patch tick for me. Let's hope this flock of Pinks hangs around and drags a few other stragglers down. Far fewer wild swans on Longton than usual though - just 16 Whoopers and 4 Bewick's.
A Little Egret flying over stopped me opposite Naze Pool on my way back to the car and when I checked there were 18 of these snowy-white birds at a pre-roost gathering. Easily the most I've seen together in Lancs. Last word to the Barn Owl before I reached the car - a pretty good afternoon really and only ten miles from home.

More soon ...... Colin

Last edited:
Despite the foul weather today I coudn't resist a return trip to Naze Point, just to see if the Pink-footed Goose flock was merely displaced birds due to wildfowler's activities at the weekend.
A brief stop at Newton Marsh en route (best so far for me here is Temminck's Stint although this pool's been graced by Citrine Wag' in the past) produced little apart from 153 Wigeon and a drake Pintail. Pintails are not common here despite the huge numbers of this attractive duck a few miles west along the mouth of the Ribble near Lytham.
Anyway ... on to Freckleton: As I walked the path to the Naze Point I couldn't hear any geese but my first looks over Longton Marsh revealed that the weekend's flock was still present. Definitely settled (no shooting today on the south bank), but well spread out over the marsh. En route to the Naze I encountered the tit flock again - no Chiffchaff but Coal Tit was unexpected and the whole lot was "spooked" by a passing Sparrowhawk. It was high tide when I arrived at the Ribble - not my favourite conditions but good for scrutiny of the huge Wigeon flocks (no American Wigeon .... yet), and a couple of Greenshank flew out of the creek as I approached Naze Point for a scan of the geese. Single Barnacle and the "rogue" Emperor were still present amongst the Pinks. The longer this flock sticks around the better - the first winter I've had grey geese on the deck on this part of the estuary since I've been in Lancs.
Peregrine over the Naze and Jay near the boatyard were the only birds to trouble my notebook on the way back to the car.
Colin

Last edited:
Hi Stephen,

Thanks - good to be back in the UK birding again. Yes, must be a Lancs record I reckon - bet it can be beaten though.

Cheers,
Colin

Hi.

L Egret certainly doing well locally; anything up to 11 most days on the Ribble estuary at Marshside at the moment

Hi Colin! Just spotted your thread.....which means yet another site to check out on a regular basis! Great stuff though - birding there sounds brilliant, and a bit different from E Devon, and even more so from Herts and NW London! Already I've found some stuff to be jealous about - 3,000 things in fact.

Hope this thread takes off nicely - the Backwater thread has been huge fun, and a great advert for the local birding. Are you alone, or are there one or two other local patchers up there?

I shall follow your antics keenly.

All the best.............Gav

Hi Gavin,

Good to hear from you as always. Yes, bit different from Hilfield Park Reservoir! More of a challenge with so many birds but exciting all the same. Over the past five years I can probably count the number of birders I've seen on this patch on one hand, so I've virtually got this part of the estuary to myself.

Like your Devon thread very much Gavin. Seems you've got a great team down there. Keep up the good work.

Colin

Pretty dismal up here today with all birding done from the car. A quick stop at Newton Marsh produced the usual 200+ Wigeon and an increase in Teal (up to 150+). Very flighty though, making "sifting" for any trans-Atlantic visitors tricky. Pair of Shoveler were the only other bits.
With the conditions worsening I popped in at Warton Bank where 5 Whoopers were in evidence amongst the Mute Swans. Loads of Pink-footed Geese on the south side of the estuary over at Hesketh / Banks, all out of range and flighty though. Just the usual Blue and Great Tits on the feeders in the orchard, the site of last year's Marsh Tit. No harriers as to be expected in these conditions.
Hope for better at the weekend - including the weather!
cOLIN

Another late afternoon visit to the estuary produced very little today but apart from being a bit blustery it was pleasant all the same. High tide at Freckleton Naze Point is rarely the best conditions but today's birds included 3,000+ Lapwing, small numbers of Golden Plover, 4 Oystercatcher and a couple of Turnstone. Still only 13 Whoopers on Longton (usually about 80 or so here) and sadly the flock of Pink-footed Geese seems to have moved on. Standing on the point checking the passing stream of gulls heading out to the outer estuary proved fruitless (I still need Glaucos and Iceland for the patch). Returning to the car past Naze Pool a Little Egret dropped in and I could only find 5 in total though I suspect there were more hidden under the high bank, shelteing from the wind. I'll check elsewhere on the Ribble tomorrow I think .....

Colin.

Attachments

• DSC04126.JPG
    DSC04126.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 154
Paul Jarvis said:
Sounds like a good patch Colin, I will have to check it out for myself sometime.

Hi Paul,

Please do - the area could do with more coverage. Bring your wellies!

Yesterday (26/11) was indeed better than Saturday and the morning started well with 2 Great spotted Woodpeckers as I walked the path from the car down to the Ribble. Bright and sunny so a good day for scanning distant flocks of Wigeon etc so I covered Warton Marsh where several hundred were in range but nothing in amongst them. The Lapwing flock on the south side held 80+ Gloden Plovers, there was a Turnstone and a single Bar-tailed Godwit on the shore (neither common so far up the Ribble this time of year) and two Greenshank were knocking around. Just 2 Shoveler, one Pintail (a drake) and a dozen Teal made up the "quacker" totals with 42 Pink-feet around but still no herds of swans out on Longton.
With the fine afternoon weather I decided to walk towards Warton Bank to look for raptors over the saltmarsh. A superb Barn Owl hunting over the airfield at 2 PM managed to avoid my digiscoping efforts and 5 Whoopers and 4 Little Egrets had made it into the notebook by the time I turned back towards the car. Still no harriers but 3 Peregrines, single Sparrowhawk and Merlin made it worthwhile.
Few passerines out on the marsh: 8 Skylarks, Grey Wag and while I was searching for Bramblings in a small Chaffinch flock I flushed 4 Grey Partridges. Nice to see 37 Whoopers out on Longton Marsh as I made my last scan of the Ribble / Douglas confluence before reaching the car.

Lunchtime visit to the Ribble estuary today starting at Newton Marsh: Very small numbers of duck (just 40 odd Teal and 20 or so Wigeon), but female Stonechat on wasteland was expected even if a Gt sp Woodpecker on the fence posts wasn't!
Westwards to the outer estuary as far as Fairhaven (about as "coastal" as the patch gets). The lake here has a good record for rarities, usually when I'm working abroad. Adult Ivory Gull and Dusky Warbler still hurt but Ferruginous Duck and Shorelarks have brightened up winter days here for me in the past. Anyway immature Scaup was the best today in with 25 Pochards and 3 Goldeneye. A tit flock with Goldcrests in "the Dusky bushes" (grrr...) kept me busy before heading back to the office.

CB

With a poor forecast for the weekend and having been "grounded" in the office for two days, I was gagging to get out today. Bright and sunny on the Ribble but not much to report really. First stop at Newton Marsh where duck numbers were back up: 300+ Wigeon, 100+ Teal and 20 Shoveler. Rest of the time at Freckleton Naze - loads of birds (800+ Wigeon, 3000+ Lapwing, 700+ Golden Plover, 125 Curlew, etc, etc) but nothing special except a couple of Greenshank. Gazing south across the river from Naze Point it was nice to see the Whoopers have crept up to 84 (that's more like it!) and there were 5 Pink-footed Geese flying around. Merlin and Little Egret only highlights here otherwise.
Now, with Rough-legged Buzzard and Green-winged Teal on the south bank (just outside the patch) I really should be trying harder!

CB

Ribble Birding 3 Dec 2006

Blowing a gale up here too today so I headed out to the estuary. As I passed Lea Marsh I noted it was flooded due the 9+ metre tide and the strong SW wind. Warton Marsh was already flooded when I arrived and there was very little happening, just 3 Little Egrets and 20 Whooper Swans. With the tide in I thought I'd head to Fairhaven but nothing of note in Granny's Bay and I couldn't even find the Scaup on the lake. By now the tide was dropping and it was really blowing so I headed back inland to Brockholes Quarry. This is a superb site at migration times but a little neglected in the winter. Anyway, not much to report: 4 Little Grebes, 40 Teal, 23 Gadwall, 16 Shoveler, 20 Pochard and best of all a Bullfinch (scarce around here) with some Chaffinches.

CB

Leach's Petrels!

I remember sitting watching the Lytham high tide wader roost with local birder Maurice Jones last May when a Fulmar flew into the mouth of the estuary. We discussed the possibility of seabirds in the Ribble in the right conditions and that no-one had ever really looked.
After the strong SW winds over the past 24 hours and the fact there had been Leach's Petrels along the Lancs coast, today had to be the day. On arrival at Fairhaven conditions were great - onshore blow and high tide. Sure enough after 10 minutes one, then two Leach's appeared - my first for the estuary - Ribble Tick! I had to leave after an hour and a half but a total of six birds was very satisfying, one right under the seawall too. Fantastic stuff!

Colin

Colin Bushell said:
I remember sitting watching the Lytham high tide wader roost with local birder Maurice Jones last May when a Fulmar flew into the mouth of the estuary. We discussed the possibility of seabirds in the Ribble in the right conditions and that no-one had ever really looked.
Colin

Hi Colin,

I think they have looked from Marshside quite a lot over the years. I have seen Arctic Skua at Fairhaven and Sabine's Gull at Freckleton, though the latter was an over-summering bird. And of course seabirds regularly go up the Ribble and overland.

Regards,

Stephen.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Hi Colin,

I think they have looked from Marshside quite a lot over the years. I have seen Arctic Skua at Fairhaven and Sabine's Gull at Freckleton, though the latter was an over-summering bird. And of course seabirds regularly go up the Ribble and overland.

Regards,

Stephen.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the response Stephen, I didn't make it clear but I was referring to my regular Ribble sites really (north shore to Fairhaven).

For what it's worth my Ribble "seabirds" since 2001 (when I moved here) consist of a Bonxie at Banks Marsh (not in my area - see SIG's thread in the "Your Birding Day" section of BF for Marshside stuff), a couple of Arctic Skuas from Fairhaven (lingering at low tide) and the aforementioned Fulmar. Maurice also mentioned some past records of skuas over Freckleton and Preston Docks, so as you say overland migration is documented for the Ribble.

Interesting stuff.......could do with more folks looking in the right conditions I reckon.

Colin

Colin,

I worked on Preston Docks in the early nineties (until BAE closed down the warehouse...sigh!) and still occasionally watch around the basins and downstream from the 'bull-nose'.
Some of the better birds when I worked there were Little Terns, Black-Terns, Little Gulls, Ring-billed Gull and a Gannet heading up river during a gale (which was very surprising at the time).
Waders were not as good that far up the river, but I still clocked lots of Whimbrel, a few Curlew Sands, plus Black-Tailed Godwits. Inside the BAE compound we used to get nesting Shelduck every year, and a healthy colony of tree-sparrows after nest boxes were fitted on the building, and once a juv Cuckoo inside the warehouse.
The area downstream held wintering Stonechats, and the hedges were good for Winter Thrush's, Goldcrests etc. Alas this area is now the Trax Motorbike Racing area.

I've started birding the Penwortham side of the river more often now, as its quieter and has interesting Stubble Fields as well as better access to the downstream marshes.

Last edited:
Nice result with the Leach's Petrels, Colin! The vast majority seem to have been whisked up the Irish Sea and Bristol Channel - amazingly few reports from the SW. So I'm envious again. Mind you, we do at least get proper seabirds on a regular basis!

Keep up the good work.........

Gavin Haig said:
Nice result with the Leach's Petrels, Colin! The vast majority seem to have been whisked up the Irish Sea and Bristol Channel - amazingly few reports from the SW. So I'm envious again. Mind you, we do at least get proper seabirds on a regular basis!

Keep up the good work.........

Hi Gavin,

Seems like today was better on the south coast for petrels - just read your thread on Backwater Birding though ..... ooops! Never mind, I missed a Ribble tick today too (Shag).

Grounded for the next two days unfortunately - have to do a full days work!

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back