• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

like it or loathe it.. (1 Viewer)

Strandman

Here's a sculpture of a displaying Great Northern (Common Loon) approx life size which has just come in from the shed to have its beak repaired. It got sent to the shed on a combined vote from my wife and mother-in-law both of whom said the idea of leaving it unpainted with this monochrome finish to avoid breaking up its shape was nuts..So the question is whether I should bite the bullet, treat the monochrome as undercoat and paint it properly this winter. Opinions welcome..

Attachments

• resize33 copy.jpg
    resize33 copy.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 176
Having just finished a small stoneware (clay) sculpture of a pair of Sumo wrestlers I think I know exactly how you feel.

I do think that your GND needs a lift from some colour detail but I personally wouldn't relish the job of doing it.

I've opted to glaze mine in a plain matt black, not obviously typical for sumo wrestlers but it sort of felt right for the piece and was a damned sight easier to dunk the whole thing in a bucket of glaze rather than having to put in any detail.|=)|

Hi Ed - I've been meaning to get back to you, I absolutely loved the images on your website, the carvings and the cartoons were amongst my favourites (Keith Brickie is hilarious!!! - has Mr. B. ever seen this????!), but I digress (as usual) with regard to this piece I love it as is, but I would personally avoid the temptation to paint a 'realistic' plumage on the carving. For me, that's a bit like photorealistic painting/illustration - it gets to a point when you may as well have the photo. You may get into the realms of 'decoys', because the carving is so accurate and sensitive - keep it sculptural. maybe John's suggestion of a tone or colour perhaps - what about an allover grey and 'lift' the particular striations witha dampened paintbrush - subtlety, I think? Carving's great - what's wrong with your women (mine always want bloody puffins - ha ha).
Tim

I'm with Keith -- keep it as is. I love the monochrome finish because it calls your attention to the stylized, graceful shape of the whole. Gorgeous.

If it needs a good home, I'll PM you my address! ;) :bounce: ;)

I love it as it is..... And if its fate is to be consigned to the shed, do let me know what you would like for it! I'd give it a loving home.

What a heartening set of responses. I think what I will do for now is a bit more highlighting (it's not a great photo, but some areas such as the neck patch are highlit in silver against the grey). Then see how it looks and maybe resubmit to this informal committee. I have two more of the red glass eyes hidden away somewhere so the next stage of the plan is to cast a copy of this one in plaster/resin and do a bit of surgery on it, so we have a non identical pair to set each other off..but that may take a little while.

Do a bronze - would be a fine pair...

Ed - Looks great as is - but I'd add a bronze.

Here's an example of one of my marble carvings - done to commemorate the birth of the first of my 3 daughters - inspired by the 6 months gestation ultrasound. I then did a bronze (and another). 20" tall, called "Blossoming"

As Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote in his essay on halves - nothing and no one is complete - everything seeks its complement.

Have fun! - Bob

Attachments

• MarbleandBronze.jpg
    MarbleandBronze.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 111
Love it.........the ability to get the essence of a bird by just shape and a few simple details whether it be sculpted or painted is something to be treasured and something I for one haven't yet mastered, but I've overworked many a picture because I think its how others want to see it, nowadays I keep true to myself, I hope you do too in this inst.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back