• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Critique appreciated (1 Viewer)

Dave B

I'd appreciate it if you folks could cast a critical eye over this painting that I've just uploaded.

I think it's almost finished - just need to tidy up the fronds of padi so that they overlap as they should. Anything else you think it needs doing to it? It's been on the go for about 6 months, so it's very difficult for me to 'see' the picture - I just see a collection of brush-strokes!

For Tim - this picture has not been 'digitally remastered'!

Chinese Pond Heron in a Paddy

Thanks

Dave

Beautiful

Dave B said:
I'd appreciate it if you folks could cast a critical eye over this painting that I've just uploaded.

I think it's almost finished - just need to tidy up the fronds of padi so that they overlap as they should. Anything else you think it needs doing to it? It's been on the go for about 6 months, so it's very difficult for me to 'see' the picture - I just see a collection of brush-strokes!

For Tim - this picture has not been 'digitally remastered'!

Chinese Pond Heron in a Paddy

Thanks

Dave

Dave - It's beautiful. Wondering if some very subtle foreground/reflection blue wash work might mirror the blue feathers without dropping the viewer's eye too much. Great parallels of grass and feather in your painting. If you're set up with airbrush, the last step can also haze/fog out background detail if you are so inclined. These are mini-ideas - it's a wonderfully engaging work. - Bob

Wonderfull sense of posture and movement..

I also like the fact that the sorroundings do not distract or draw the eye away from the central image.

Matt

Although i usually look at the various paintings that are posted on BF, often requesting critique, i've generally nothing constructive to say, as the standards are variable to say the least, and i therefore don't post. However, i couldn't 'not comment' on this. It's absolutely superb and has an almost photographic quality to it. You're obviously very talented, well done. Don't bother doing anything more to it and get cracking on with the next one. I look forward to seeing it.

Graeme.

Sorry Dave I have nothing helpful to add but... I just wanted to say that I think it is brilliant! Beautiful :)

Dave B said:

Thanks

Dave

That's really fine.

If you are having trouble "seeing" a picture after working on it for too long, one handy trick is to look at in a mirror. You would be amazed what sometimes jumps out at you if you try that.

As for critique..well this is a bit good for that. The one thing I would be tempted to do would be to soften the fronds in the backgound and strengthen them in the foreground to give an extra sense of depth. Maybe by lightening the darker greens in the background a touch (for example those at the base of the fronds above the bird's back) and darken the basal section of the fronds in the foreground- in effect reducing contrast towards the rear and increasing it at the front. But that is very much by way of fine tuning and there's always the fear that it might go wrong...

Ed K

Great piece, that as Tim says, is finished. Superb image that holds a real sense of impending action and tension, which brings the bird alive....

Well done and dont touch!

DON'T TOUCH IT!!!!!!!

It is beautifully accomplished, and if you go too far it could end up losing its charm. I've started taking phtos of my pictures on the go and I have to say I prefer the pictures halfway through the painting to the finished result.

Amazing Dave! I think it is quite well done. What exactly is the medium? It looks like watercolor on my monitor.

jcwings said:
Amazing Dave! I think it is quite well done. What exactly is the medium? It looks like watercolor on my monitor.

Thanks for all the kind comments and helpful suggestions. I think I might be tempted to work on the contrast between near and far blades as Ed suggests. But I'll sit on it for another week.

The bird is acryllic, as are the rice stalks in the foreground. The water and most of the background is watercolour.

There is a larger res version of the pic on my blog.

Dave

Dave B said:
Thanks for all the kind comments and helpful suggestions. I think I might be tempted to work on the contrast between near and far blades as Ed suggests. But I'll sit on it for another week.

The bird is acrylic, as are the rice stalks in the foreground. The water and most of the background is watercolour.

There is a larger res version of the pic on my blog.

Dave

The watercolour background will make it difficult to knock it back, perhaps a little dull red through the rice leaves would work, but I see little wrong with it as it stands. It would be a shame to overpaint such a lovely piece...

Perhaps you should leave it alone...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back