• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leicas (1 Viewer)

Adam C

Latest Lifer: Far Eastern Curlew: 11-2-07
Hi all.

I currently have a pair of 10x25 ultravids which I love to death but would like something a bit brighter for our New Zealand bush.

Looking at Ultrvid 8x32s or 8x42s, possibly 10x

Just wondering what the weight difference is like between the 32s verse 42s and how much brighter the 42s would be?

I love the light weight of the 10x25s so would love to be able to get away with the 32s. Have heard the 7x 42s are the knees on the bee also.

Any help would be great!!

Cheers~

Here are your Ultravid Weights:
8 x 32 19.7 Oz 10 x 32 21 Oz
8 x 42 27.8 Oz 10 x 42 27.3 Oz
7 x 42 27 Oz

The 7x and 8x's have significantly wider FOV's than the 10x's.
The 7 x 42 is the brightest; the 8 x 42 is next followed by the 10 x 42, 8 x 32 and 10 x 32. Exit pupils are respectively 6mm; 5.2mm; 4.2mm; 4.0mm and 3.2mm.

Unless you have megabucks you can't have one of each!

Ultimately you will have to compromise based on the type of birding you do most. If you aren't going to spend alot of time in twilight conditions look long and hard at the 8 x 32. Many birders think the 8 x 42 is the most versatile. Many birders also do not like the 10 x 32 format. I have the 7 x 42 Trinovid and I think it is indeed the "Bees knees" but many birders think 7x is a bit underpowered.

Good Luck, we all should have your problem!
Bob

I believe that the 8x32 would suit your bush birding. They have a beautiful view and are one of the best "do everything see everything" models.

Adam C said:
Hi all.

I currently have a pair of 10x25 ultravids which I love to death but would like something a bit brighter for our New Zealand bush.

I feel the same about my own 10x25 Ultravids. Nevertheless, my "full sized" binoculars are the Zeiss FL model. The compact Leicas are really state of the art, but on the full sizes they basically only changed coatings and housings. Sure, those Ultravids are excellent, too. But check the focus whether it is sufficiently smooth. You might end up with a ratchety mechanism that bothers you for years till it is worn sufficiently. Well, at least it DOES get "broken in", according to reports here on BF.
Among the FLs, it is the x42 models that get particular praise, whereas the Ultravids would maybe preferable if you go for the x32 line.

Thanks all.

Think I have narrowed it down to the 8x32s or 7x42s but cheers swissboy I will check out the Zeiss FLs also although I am very bent in the Leica direction!! or maybe I'm just bent full stop ;)

Was using my 10x25s again this morning while biking to work...dang I love those things~

Basically our NZ bush is more like closed canopy forest and pretty dark down below so tracking fast moving bush birds does get a wee bit tricky at times. I was trying to track Stitchbirds at Tiri Tiri Island a month ago. These things just live on nector so are 'high' on speed and never stop moving! I think someone should rename them Twitchbirds!!

Adam C said:
Thanks all.

Think I have narrowed it down to the 8x32s or 7x42s but cheers swissboy I will check out the Zeiss FLs also although I am very bent in the Leica direction!! or maybe I'm just bent full stop ;)

You should definitely try the Zeiss 7x42 FLs; they would be ideal for your sort of birding. Close focus 2m, widest field of view in its class, supremely pure and bright image. Before I bought mine I used the (discontinued) 7x 42 Zeiss Dialyts (aka Classics) which are optically almost as good, though not waterproof and have external focusing that tends to get gummed up.

Sean

dogfish said:
Adam C said:
Thanks all.

You should definitely try the Zeiss 7x42 FLs; they would be ideal for your sort of birding. Close focus 2m, widest field of view in its class, supremely pure and bright image. Before I bought mine I used the (discontinued) 7x 42 Zeiss Dialyts (aka Classics) which are optically almost as good, though not waterproof and have external focusing that tends to get gummed up.

Sean

The Zeiss FL 7x42 is absolutely fantastic. It is the perfect glass for that kind of birding, heck, for any kind of birding.

Thanks all for your replys.

I was offered an ex demo pair of Swarovski 8x30SLCs for $400 which are Mint ++ as new as, so have snapped these up in the mean time I will start saving for the 7x42s.

Thanks again for all the great advice and merry Christmas!!~

Luca said:
The Zeiss FL 7x42 is absolutely fantastic. It is the perfect glass for that kind of birding, heck, for any kind of birding.

My thoughts as well; they never cease to amaze me.

Happy FL owner Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back