• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Case for Trinovid 42 BN Series (1 Viewer)

ld74

I have enjoyed using my new Trinovid 7x42 BN over the holidays. I'm still stunned by how bright the image is and have found 7x to be a good focal length for my purposes. I think they're the best all-around binoculars for me and would highly recommend the Trinovid 42 BN series to anyone.

Unfortunately, however, Leica fell short with the included leather case. I find it totally unusable. It offers no real protection and takes a while to insert (and more importantly, remove) the bins. It's more of a sleeve than a case. Can anyone recommend a decent case of nylon/cordura or other material that's tough and up to the job of protecting Leicas? I know that Leica offered an optional leather hard case for the Trinovid BA line at one time, but I can't track down any on the web. This would be an ideal solution, and I'd be willing to buy one if I could find any in stock. There was one on the auction site several weeks ago, but I forgot to bid at the last minute and missed my chance.

Also, any ideas on front objective covers for the 42 BN series. Another important detail that Leica overlooked! Great binoculars but Leica really skimped on the accessories. Zeiss, Canon, Nikon...they all have Leica beat in this regard.

Well?? At least the Ocular Covers are excellent!

That said and you are right on everything else. I have the same binocular and I share your enthusiasm for it and your lack of enthusiasm for the "diaper" Leica supplied with it for use as a case. Here are 2 possibilities: Cabela's sells hard leather binocular cases in 3 sizes which cost respectively $35.00, $45.00 and $55.00. The 7 x 42's fit nicely into the middle sized case. The cases are quite thick, stiff and sturdy.

The next is www.duluthpack.com. Click on shoulderbags. They sell numerous canvas and leather bags, rucksacks, cases etc. I have their Mini-Haversack. It's the best binocular case I've ever seen with plenty of pockets for maps, a fieldguide etc. Check it out. $85.00 but worth every cent! Size: 8" x 8" x 4".
Bob

Last edited:
I found a Pentax case I liked better for my 10x32 Leica's.
The trick for me was matchnig the fit of the case to the binocular. That is a difficult task when your surfing web images and specifications. If you do locate a case you like - you may be able to order if from the several pages of cases below.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ist.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=Binocular+case

The Ultravid 10X42 case is padded nylon if that is your goal.

Attachments

• IMG_1888.JPG
    IMG_1888.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1889.JPG
    IMG_1889.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
I actually like the leather "sleeve"--it's not bulky, keeps dust/dirt off the binos and protects the lenses from scratches. It's all the protection a tough bino like the Trinovid needs.

If you're interested in the leather hard case for the BA/BN series, call Leica and see if they have it in stock. If they do, I'm sure it is pricy, because the leather sleeve for the 8x32 BN is ~$100 when bought seperately.
--AP

Leica 7x42 BN Binocular Case (Options)

For what it’s worth, several days ago I posted some information directed to an individual named KorHaan on the subject of worthwhile objective lens covers for these superlative binoculars. Just type “Leica 7x42” in the BirdForum search engine, and you should stumble across it. The following web site also offers first-rate heavy-duty leather binocular cases that provide a solid fit. I’ve used them, and they are worth the money.

www.deutscheoptik.com

I, too, am routinely bewildered by the lack of decent accessories for some of the more popular premium European optics…

If you desire a nylon case, SunDog is an excellent manufacturer. They fit my Leicas perfectly, and are very well made. I’m presently at a loss as to who might presently stock this company’s products.

I’d also suggest sitting down with your optics manufacturer’s technical literature to get an EXACT MEASUREMENT of your binoculars’ overall dimensions before ordering any type of case.

Best,
Chris Ellison

Hello ld74!

Is this what you are after?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Leica-trinovid-s...8-10-X-42_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ180064070679

If you don't like web auctions, here's a dealer who offers them:

http://www.beco.is/beco.nsf/pages/leica_sjonaukar.html

I completely agree that it is a disgrace that the top-end manufacturers are unwilling to supply a decent casing for their binos.
A traveling salesman from Leica last year told me "it would be too expensive" to equip even the Ultravids with such an extra!
He gave me another funny "explanation" for the fact the the ultra-expensive Ultravids come with one strap only for the binos AND the lousy nylon case!

I did not buy any.

Cheers,
Thomas

Bino' case

I purchased a pair of 8 x 42 Ultravids, I later bought a Lowepro camera case to carry them in . I am never impressed with the cases supplied with binoculars, they always seem to be a bit of an afterthought.

Paul.

I took Alexis's advise and put the supplied "sleeve" on my 7 x 42 BN Trinovid. Actually it's working out pretty well and should be even easier to use once I take the Ocular Cover off. You have to get used to the sleeve hanging down in front of your mouth while using the binocular but it isn't too obtrusive. It seems like you can get them into action faster than if they are in a case. Although the sleeve offers protection from the weather and elements, it offers no protection at all from bumps and bruises. To that end it might be worthwhile to get something to put them in while traveling.

Live and learn,

Bob

"I came, I saw, I learned something."

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back