• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seawatching North East Scotland (1 Viewer)

Brenty

I going up to stay in Grantown on Spey next week and will be looking to try to get to the coast to do some birdwatching. I wonder if BF members could tell me which are the best sites this time of year for some of the specialities of the area, please.

Birds I would like to see would be Scoters LT ducks and white winged gulls

Thanking you in anticipation.

Brenty said:
I going up to stay in Grantown on Spey next week and will be looking to try to get to the coast to do some birdwatching. I wonder if BF members could tell me which are the best sites this time of year for some of the specialities of the area, please.

Lossiemouth or Burghead are the nearest points although if you are prepared to travel a bit further I always preferred Fraserburgh, also think it's probably best for white winged gulls! Wrap up warm though, it will be bl**dy cold if theres a northerly blowing.

Nick

Nick-on said:
Lossiemouth or Burghead are the nearest points although if you are prepared to travel a bit further I always preferred Fraserburgh, also think it's probably best for white winged gulls! Wrap up warm though, it will be bl**dy cold if theres a northerly blowing.

Nick

I think Peterhead is a bit better then F'burgh for White-wingers in recent winters, also King Eider kicking round that area.

Bear in mind that Grantown-on-Spey to Peterhead is about a 100 mile drive, on not particularly great roads and will take about 2.5 hours each way. Fraserburgh is about 80 miles from Grantown.

Grantown to Lossiemouth is about 40 miles (1 hour).

Try off the dunes at Findhorn first as I think all the Socter flocks may well have moved further east at the moment.....you should spot them from here. It's a bit of a walk if so, try heading to Culbin Forest from Nairn and walking out from there if you have the time. Other good spots....Roseisle Dunes between Kinloss and Lossie, Lossie Estuary, Hopeman and Burghead.

John.

Brenty said:

jpoyner said:
Try off the dunes at Findhorn first as I think all the Socter flocks may well have moved further east at the moment.....you should spot them from here. It's a bit of a walk if so, try heading to Culbin Forest from Nairn and walking out from there if you have the time. Other good spots....Roseisle Dunes between Kinloss and Lossie, Lossie Estuary, Hopeman and Burghead.

John.

Many thanks for all your advice. I will see what the weather is like when I am there and decide how far to travel then.

Udale Bay and Cromarty was good for Long Tailed Ducks when I was last there a few years ago - perhaps John would know the up-to-date situation there.

You'd likely see Red Kites too.

D

delia todd said:
Udale Bay and Cromarty was good for Long Tailed Ducks when I was last there a few years ago - perhaps John would know the up-to-date situation there.

You'd likely see Red Kites too.

D

Thanks Delia I will add those locations to my list as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back