• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Cumbria Coast (1 Viewer)

RobinD

I will be up in Whitehaven and Workington for a couple of days next week with a day either side to travel up from Berkshire.

Can anyone offer any good locations near here for species you don't see too often in the home counties, such as wild geese and Purple Sandpiper.

I stopped off in Blackpool to see roosting LEO's a couple of winters ago when I last had a Scotland trip. Are there any there this winter?

Thanks,

Robin

Solway Firth is good for geese. The high tide wader roosts are good. Try RSPB at Campfield Marsh is good if you can get there.

Yes the Long-eared Owls are there, also a Cetti's Warbler. There are also wild geese near Marton Mere at Mythop, but they can be a bit tricky to see at times.

The harbours at Whitehaven and Workington could both be worth a luck. Siddick Pond is good in winter, with Bitterns and Otters among other things. You should be able to see Purple Sands, but someone with more local knowledge would be able to tell you the best site (Tristan??).

Regards,

Stephen.

Thank you both.

I'm not too sure of the distances, Campfield Marsh may be a bit far. siddick pond looks like it is just by where I'm working!

Looks like a visit to Blackpool is on the cards again. I have found Mythop on the map, can the geese be viewed from the rooad without disturbance? There don't appear to be footpaths in the area.

Regards,

Robin

Had a good trip up.

Stopped for the LEO's had had three showing nicely. Also a herd of Whooper Swans nearby.
Then called in at Grasmere for the Ring-necked Duck which showed pretty well in the fading light.
Unfortunately work got in the way of much more birding but I had a wander around Siddick pond where there were a couple more Whoopers and lots of Goosander. Had a look out from Workington harbour. There were four Purple Sands on the rocks beyond the lighthouse and a razorbill and two Red-throated Divers flew past.
Regards,

Robin

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back