• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gadwall behavior (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
This evening I was watching some Teal and Gadwall dabbling in very shallow area ( 3 inch or maybe less ) There were three male Gadwall and a single female fairly close together. One of the males was paying quite a lot of attention to the female, but, typical female, not interested!. ( duck now ).
I noticed that all three males intermittently behaving in a way that looked very strange to me, I guess it was a display to the F or to each other.
One would stop swimming, lower its bill into the water, then the whole forpart of the duck would quickly be raised out of the water, at the same time the neck would be stretched and the head would be thrown back flicking water from its bill over its head. It was repeated several times, and looked very strange.

Can anyone throw any light on this behavior?.

Well it does look like mating behaviour to me. However it is a bit late in the year. I wonder if Gadwall pair for life & the birds find a mate in Autumn before migration, if any.

Colin J.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back