• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A new damsel for me (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
By the name of Rambur's Forktail or as the young lad who was shadowing me yesterday calls it.... Rambo's forklift :)

Attachments

• 0824rambur\'sforktail3.jpg
    0824rambur\'sforktail3.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 231
Nice one KC.
I just got "Beginner's Guide to Dragonflies", Stokes series. Looking forward to discovering some new species in my favorite haunt.
Read on the NJ Rare Bird Alert, large numbers of Dragons migrating along coast. An interesting groupe of insects these damsels and dragons.

I agree Bob, I have been sleepily aware of them all my life but only recently really taken a keen interest in them. Who knew there were so many distinctly beautiful Odos out there.

Nice shot KC. I've never seen one with their wings closed in like that. I'm working on learning more about these critters too.

I have become hooked on these beauties, the more i read the more i fall for them, it is just like discovering our feathered friends for the first time, and today i joined the Dragonfly Society, a very worthy organisation and for just a tenner a year and the knowledge i shall gain, well worth it.....i spent 2 days over the weekend just watching and photographing, they have just a short lifespan on the wing, but the colours they bring to our natural world, we would be poorer with out them. Lovely photo KC.

Thanks all. Isn't it amazing how we take for granted what is before us? I agree Kingfisher, they really are quite fascinating and worth getting down and dirty for. I have ordered a new pair of pvc boots so hopefully it will be a bit easier getting around in the creeks.

Nice one KC. This looks a whole lot like our own "Western Forktail" as it's called, except yours has much more extensive green on the thorax, whereas ours is blue there. Great to see this cousin for the first time. -Steve

Tammie, if you're keen to learn more about dragonflies and damselflies, here's one quick tip from what you noticed - a good way to tell a dragonfly from a damselfly (which this is) is that damselflies usually hold their wings closed over the abdomen like this one, whereas dragonflies tend to perch with their wings spread right open. This is not always the case (there are a group of damslels - lestes - that habitually hold their wings at 45 degrees) but is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Have fun learning - I am!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back