• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Query on Reed Bunting behaviour (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Just appealing to the superior knowledge of some birders.....today at Chasewater I saw a juv/ 1stW type reed bunting in trees nervously flitting about. It repeatedly flicked its tail redstart fashion, behaviour I have never noticed before. I know RB's are not tied to reeds, just want to make sure this wouldnt have been some other type of bunting.

I know the behaviour noted is probably something or nothing, would appreciate any views.

Xenospiza said:
Tail-flicking is actually a good field mark for Reed Bunting!

Agreed, and additionally when they do it, they really do it, possibly more than Redstart. But other times they just don't do it at all.

Reed Buntings should be in full plumage by now, so if this bird appeared to have juv plumage it must be some other species. Can you give more info on feather detail, colouration, jiz etc.

nirofo.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back