• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold 6x32 (1 Viewer)

Adam C

Latest Lifer: Far Eastern Curlew: 11-2-07
Has anyone tried the Leupold Katmai 6x32?

Seems like an interesting format and the katmais have a reasonable reputation~

7X ? How about 6X ??

Adam
Cornell loved the Katmai 6X. They look interesting to me as well. THe FOV is is listed as 420' I think - much better than the 8X. It seems like there aren't many high quality options in 6x. Are these better than Monarchs (as Cornell reviewers indicated)?

How do the advocates of high quality 7X feel about 6X?

AP

Last edited:
Hi Adam,

I used the Leupold 8x32 Katmai Bins all afternoon, today, and was astonished by their clarity and performance (and I'm a Leica user, too!). One of the smoothest focusing mechanisms I ever experienced as well.

Well priced, great performer. I cant imagine the 6x32's being any less so.

Adam C said:
Has anyone tried the Leupold Katmai 6x32?

Seems like an interesting format and the katmais have a reasonable reputation~
I tried a pair of Katmai's 6x32's and I was not that impressed by them.I sent them back. They have a wide FOV but to me they were lacking in contrast. I think they about like Nikon Monarch's in that respect. I have Leica 7x42's BN now and once you are used to that level of optics it is difficult to go back to lesser optics. The Leica 7x42 BN's are a rung above the 8x32 BN's also. The Monarch and the Katmai just don't have the contrast of the Leica's. Their view is flat and lifeless compared to the better binoculars. The Leica's seem like you are not even looking through binoculars but you are just 7 times closer. Amazing!

Dennis

The Leicas are superior, no doubt about it -- one of the all time greats and my own personal favorite. But for someone on a budget the Leopold Katmai is a fine choice, and at 1/5 th the cost of my Leicas they're an exceptional value and well worth the modest price.

I agree.

Robert / Seattle said:
The Leicas are superior, no doubt about it -- one of the all time greats and my own personal favorite. But for someone on a budget the Leopold Katmai is a fine choice, and at 1/5 th the cost of my Leicas they're an exceptional value and well worth the modest price.
I agree with that. It's just once you are used to Leica's the less expensive binoculars are just such a let down when you look through them. All I can say is don't look through them until you can afford them.

Dennis

6X - S/L/Z users

Seems like fairly mixed feedback so far.

Is anyone out there using the older S,L or Z(?) 6X models that I see mentioned here and there?

It seems that a 6X with near 500' FOV (with good optics) should be possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back