• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 128 head (1 Viewer)

graham catley

just a quick comment on th eperformance of this fluid video head in cold weather--in Finland last weekend with temps of -12 to -25C the head was just about useless as it just seized up in the cold---the same occurred to a 128 on a colleague's tripod so it was not just mine--worth bearing in mind if you are going somewhere cold

Thanks for the report. I was just considering this head, mainly for spotting scope use but occasional camera use while doing both. Now I will have to reconsider.

graham catley said:
just a quick comment on th eperformance of this fluid video head in cold weather--in Finland last weekend with temps of -12 to -25C the head was just about useless as it just seized up in the cold---the same occurred to a 128 on a colleague's tripod so it was not just mine--worth bearing in mind if you are going somewhere cold

Good to know!
I just wonder whether that would have happened with any other similar head; I guess a very cold environment would worsen its effects on fluid heads as well, where the viscous oil would thicken in its housing.
I faced no problems up to now with my 128RC2 down to temperatures of -8/-10°C, below that I would worry more about problems with my camera and lens: last December I found myself using my gear at -25/-30°C and AF seized up at times, although I tried to keep it close to the body under my jacket.
So, what gear will be surely safe from the effects of cold?

Last edited:
gmax said:
Good to know!
I just wonder whether that would have happened with any other similar head; I guess a very cold environment would worsen its effects on fluid heads as well, where the viscous oil would thicken in its housing.
I faced no problems up to now with my 128RC2 down to temperatures of -8/-10°C, below that I would worry more about problems with my camera and lens: last December I found myself using my gear at -25/-30°C and AF seized up at times, although I tried to keep it close to the body under my jacket.
So, what gear will be surely safe from the effects of cold?

In the same conditions I had no problems with my 1dMkIIN and 300f4 with AF working as usual and the camera battery holding up as normal even when exposed to the cold for several hours---a colleague who had a Gitzo 2380? fluid head on the same trip had no problems with it in the cold so it maybe pays to buy a better quality head

graham catley said:

Graham,

I was wondering if the cold weather had any effect on the focus wheel smoothness of anyone's bins.

Rich.

Richard Scott said:
Graham,

I was wondering if the cold weather had any effect on the focus wheel smoothness of anyone's bins.

Rich.

Zeiss 7x42's were very stiff my Swaro 8x32's and a pair of Zeis 8x32's were fine but my Swaro 80mm scope focus wheel went a bit stiff although it often does when I fly with it anyway for a few days after landing due to pressure?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back